Joe somehow edged out The Pro in the second week of the season. It’s a trend that’s not expected to last.
Lee Sterling of ParamountSports.com, the professional analyst of this feature, went 6-2 straight-up and 3-4 against the spread in Week 2. Joe, The Herald’s national college football writer, was 6-2 straight-up and 4-3 against the spread. Joe nailed USF’s stunning, 1-point victory at Nevada, and Lee impressively picked Kansas State’s rout of Miami and Florida’s gutsy victory at Texas A&M.
Entering Week 3, the competition between Joe and The Pro is neck-and-neck. Lee is 13-3 straight-up and 7-5 against the spread for the season. Overall, Joe is 14-2 straight-up and 7-5 against the spread.
This week’s picks:
BETHUNE-COOKMAN AT MIAMI
Line: No line• Joe: The demoralized Canes cannot overlook Bethune-Cookman. The Wildcats feature a talented defense and a veteran offensive line. Miami 35, BCU 14
• Pro: Canes need a feel good game after defense decided not to make the trip play Kansas State last week. Miami 48, BCU 14
WAKE FOREST AT FLORIDA STATE
Line: FSU by 28• Joe: The Demon Deacons were nearly upset by Liberty in their season opener but, considering Wake Forest defeated FSU last season, this line seems a little ridiculous. FSU 31, Wake Forest 13
• Pro: Demon Deacons have two things that should keep them within striking distance. QB Tanner Price can sling it with the best of the ACC signal callers and the defensive game plan is to limit big plays. Florida State 41, Wake Forest 17
FLORIDA AT TENNESSEE• Line: UT by 3
• Joe: The tattoo on the back of Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray might be the dirtiest thing in the SEC this season. It’s worth a search on the Internet. As for the game, Vols get the “glory story” over Gators’ coach Will Muschamp. UT 25, Florida 21
• Pro: Tyler Bray is the best QB to play in Knoxville since Peyton Manning. Vols new 3-4 defense installed by former Alabama LB coach Sal Sunseri has already produced 10 fumbles and 5 interceptions. Tennessee 28, Florida 17
FLORIDA ATLANTIC AT GEORGIA• Line: UGA by 42.5
• Joe: I live for spreads of 40 or more points. Easily the game of the week in college football. UGA 51, FAU 7
• Pro: Owl coach Pelini called his team “disjointed”. That statement is kind to say the least after allowing Middle Tennessee State team to rush for over 300 yards with a backup RB and a rebuilt OL. Georgia 56, FAU 7
FIU AT CENTRAL FLORIDA• Line: UCF by 17
• Joe: It seems the betting world has finally figured out FIU. Panthers fail to cover for the third straight week. UCF 42, FIU 17
• Pro: Time for HC Mario Cristobal to crack the whip after allowing MAC doormat Akron to score 38 points and take Golden Panthers to OT. UCF 31, FIU 21
BYU AT UTAH• Line: BYU by 4
• Joe: BYU’s offense reminds me of the 2006 Florida Gators. Quarterback Riley Nelson is backed up by freshman Taysom Hill, the Cougars’ Tim Tebow. Non sequitur: In Salt Lake City, there’s a local micro-brew called Polygamy Porter. BYU 35, Utah 21
• Pro: Cougar players circled this game since 54-10 debacle last year. Unless Utah backup QB Jon Hayes has been playing possum, opportunistic BYU defense yielding less than 10 PPG might have field day. BYU 35, Utah 14
NOTRE DAME AT MICHIGAN STATE• Line: MSU by 6
• Joe: Irish coach Brian Kelly has managed to manufacture another quarterback saga just in time for Notre Dame’s big early season test. Who’s going to start at quarterback? Who’s going to finish? It doesn’t matter this week. MSU 27, Notre Dame 20
• Pro: Irish offense needs to run to set up the pass. Spartans defense awful salty allowing just 37 and 72 rush yards in first two games. Sparty is 11-4 series play. Michigan State 26, Notre Dame 14
ALABAMA AT ARKANSAS• Line: Alabama by 21
• Joe: This has nothing to do with this game, but would Auburn actually consider hiring coach Bobby Petrino after what happen at Arkansas? Rumors say yes. Talk about sleeze hitting an all-time low in the SEC. Alabama 35, Arkansas 15
• Pro: One week after losing to Louisiana-Monroe of the Sun Belt, Arkansas QB Tyler Wilson shows off his cannon arm and his wide receivers dent vulnerable Tide pass defense. Alabama 31, Arkansas 24
Joe vs. The Pro is a weekly college football feature that analyzes games and predicts the outcome against the spread. Sterling, a nationally respected numbers man, has been analyzing spreads for more than 20 years. Joe analyzes spreads in less than 20 seconds.