The second coming of Michael Phelps gained momentum with another gold medal at the Pan Pacific championships on a night when U.S. teenager Katie Ledecky set yet another world record.
Oakland Raiders linebacker Sio Moore was taken off the field on a stretcher with a neck injury after getting hurt in the second quarter of a preseason game Friday against the Green Bay Packers.
Atlanta Braves left-hander Mike Minor lost his bid for a no-hitter when Cincinnati's Billy Hamilton singled with two outs in the eighth inning.
Dorial Green-Beckham will not be allowed to play for Oklahoma this season after the NCAA denied the school's request for a waiver that would have made the talented receiver eligible to play immediately.
The U.S. has picked the 12 players it believes can defend its world basketball title.
New York Giants left guard Geoff Schwartz has been carted off the field after dislocating his toe late in the second quarter against the Jets.
A person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press that Baltimore Orioles third baseman Manny Machado will "probably" have season-ending surgery on his injured right knee.
The trophies for the men's and women's volleyball world championships have been stolen in Rio de Janeiro, Brazilian officials said Friday.
Los Angeles Angels pitcher Garrett Richards underwent surgery on Friday to repair the torn patellar tendon in his left knee.
New Mexico women's soccer coach Kit Vela has been suspended for a week without pay and most of the team is suspended for one game over a hazing incident.
University of New Mexico women's soccer coach Kit Vela has been suspended for a week without pay and 22 players will be suspended for one game over a hazing incident.
Red Sox manager John Farrell calls outfielder Rusney Castillo "an exciting, athletic player."
Aspen's Tejay van Garderen of BMC Racing held his 20-second lead Friday over Rafal Majka of Tinkoff-Saxo following a 104-mile ride from Woodland Park into Breckenridge.
For Chargers linebacker Manti Te'o, it's another dreaded summer rerun.
Kevin Harvick has become the best qualifier in NASCAR's top series, at least for this season.
As his term winds down, baseball Commissioner Bud Selig hasn't changed his outlook on Pete Rose's lifetime ban for gambling.
A minor league player in the New York Mets' organization could soon be released from the hospital after he was airlifted from the field Friday because of a head injury.
In the space of about a week, a group of players from the U.S. team wrapped up the regular season with their National Women's Soccer League teams, got together for an international friendly against Switzerland, and now face off in the NWSL playoffs.
Justin Hardy and Shane Carden started their East Carolina careers working together on the scout team. Four years later, their connection means everything to the Pirates' pass-heavy attack — and has put both fifth-year seniors within reach of all kinds of records.
Things have come easy at the Little League World Series for the team from Las Vegas.
- System likely to become Tropical Storm Saturday
- Three teens injured after being hit by a car in Doral
- Nurse who refused to force-feed sent home from Guantánamo
- Rocket explodes during test flight; no injuries
- ND teacher of the year charged with 5 felonies
- Costa Rica to investigate US anti-Cuba program
- Billionaire pinpoints Museum Park as favored flagpole site
- UCF student injured in armed robbery
- Miami Dolphins’ Knowshon Moreno in position to earn expanded role
- Seven spots still up for grabs on Florida Gators’ roster
- Miami Central football coach receives slur-filled hate mail from Alabama ‘fan’
- Armando Salguero: Dan Marino’s role with Miami Dolphins is welcome but undefined
- Florida State Seminoles, fans celebrate 63rd annual kickoff luncheon
- University of Miami’s CanesFest will be on campus Saturday
- Top-tier teams Booker T. Washington, Oscar Smith to face off in nationally televised game
- Miami Hurricanes season tickets in high demand
- Aeromexico adds fourth weekly Miami-Merida flight
- Memorial Regional Hospital’s heart program accredited
- The American consumer is back, with an asterisk
- Advanced Capital completes purchase of broker-dealer Lake Forest Securities
- Check online Social Security account to avoid costly errors
- Inherit? Invest
- Tom Hudson: This has been the summer of cooling energy prices
- FPL expects to reduce rates in 2015
- Memories of Benjamin Franklin all over town
- Condo line: Substantial surplus funds in operating budget not necessarily a good thing
- Florida: St. Augustine Spanish Wine Festival set for Sept. 9-13
- My infant daughter doesn’t have a ticket — who’s responsible?
- Jess Row’s ‘Your Face in Mine’ explores race in a fascinating context
- New surgery can relieve epileptic seizures
- Dance, yoga, art — all help Parkinson’s patients keep moving
- Sleep apnea is a risk factor for strokes
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- Culture Shock Miami brings cheap tickets and love of the arts to youth
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former AP photo editor Toby Massey dies
- Alaska serial killer Robert Hansen dies at 75
- Mento performer Joseph 'Powda' Bennett dies at 76
- Former Vatican City governor Szoka dies at age 86
- Irish peacemaker, ex-premier Reynolds dies at 81
- Former Cuban countess Maria Duany dies at 98
- Indian yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar dies at 95
- Don Pardo: a link to TV's birth, says 'SNL' boss