The waiting game continues as LeBron James’ choices likely whittled down to Miami Heat, Cleveland Cavaliers
LeBron James spoke with Heat president Pat Riley on Wednesday, but James’ decision on staying in Miami or leaving is still an unknown.
In My Opinion
Dan Le Batard: LeBron James displays all his power as Pat Riley, Miami Heat and rest of the NBA awaits decision
There isn’t a lot of precedent for this spectacle we are presently Witnessing. So much power. So, so, so much power. LeBron James is the most powerful athlete in sports, by a lot, and what is going on around him these days is equal parts lunacy and chaos.
Economic uncertainty impacts every person a different way. Sometimes it affects one person several ways. Men like Warren Buffet capitalize on it, Jim Cramer obsesses about it and yells accordingly, and others try to avoid it if they can.
Heat president Pat Riley and LeBron James will get together Wednesday, one day before NBA free agents can sign new contracts.
Looking to retain LeBron James in a Heat uniform, Miami added to the roster by agreeing to deals with free agents Josh McRoberts and Danny Granger.
In My Opinion | Dan Le Batard
The panoramic view of the Miami Heats free agency has been interesting to watch from all angles.
In My Opinion | Greg Cote
Pat Riley, as the world was ending in the recent raw wake of the Heats 4-1 NBA Finals loss to San Antonio, advised fans and media to get a grip on reality to appreciate what the team built in 2010 had accomplished in four seasons, and that nobody wins every year.
James Ennis shines, Shabazz Napier rebounds from shaky outing in Miami Heats second summer league contest
While Heat waits for its real Big 3 to decide on their basketball futures, theres a fairly entertaining Big 3 coming together in the summer league.
Summer League | Celtics 85, Heat 77
This is why they conduct summer league.
Heat president Pat Riley hopes to convince free agents Pau Gasol, Luol Deng or Trevor Ariza to accept less money and sign with Miami — a quest that became more pressing following a report that LeBron James’ agent met with four teams.
The Heat is among several teams courting Spanish center and free agent Pau Gasol.
Pat Riley must do some wooing and cap-crunching and fend off rivals as he retools the Miami Heat’s makeup.
LeBron James reportedly wants a deal that pays about $21 million next season, meaning Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade must take big pay cuts for the Big 3 to stay together.
With LeBron James reportedly seeking a max contract, its up to Pat Riley, GM Andy Elisburg and the Big 3 to make the salaries work in Miami.
The way Heat president Pat Riley tells the story, it wasnt up to him to sign Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem to contracts in 2010.
Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem said they will opt out of their contracts, and Chris Bosh is expected to follow, giving the Heat flexibility with its roster.
In My Opinion
News that Dwyane Wade, Udonis Haslem and likely Chris Bosh are opting out is an indication the Miami Heats core believes this franchise still has more rings in it.
The Heat traded up two spots in the first round of the NBA Draft to acquire UConn point guard Shabazz Napier, who won two NCAA titles.
Heat president Pat Riley was focused on selecting Shabazz Napier in the draft and feels fortunate to have landed the point guard.
Mourning, a co-founder of the center, is wearing white sneakers and shorts, looking down at the camera with a smile. Alongside the picture is a quote from the seven-time All-Star.
- Three teens injured after being hit by a car in Doral
- Ice Bucket Challenge making a big splash for charity
- Nurse who refused to force-feed sent home from Guantánamo
- Rocket explodes during test flight; no injuries
- ND teacher of the year charged with 5 felonies
- Costa Rica to investigate US anti-Cuba program
- Billionaire pinpoints Museum Park as favored flagpole site
- UCF student injured in armed robbery
- Miami Dolphins cut tight end Michael Egnew
- Miami Hurricanes enjoy surplus of talented cornerbacks
- Miami Dolphins’ Knowshon Moreno in position to earn expanded role
- Austin Barron brings veteran experience to Seminoles’ returning O-line starters
- Greg Cote: It’s time to welcome Pete Rose back to baseball
- Seven spots still up for grabs on Florida Gators’ roster
- Miami Central football coach receives slur-filled hate mail from Alabama ‘fan’
- Armando Salguero: Dan Marino’s role with Miami Dolphins is welcome but undefined
- Aeromexico adds fourth weekly Miami-Merida flight
- Memorial Regional Hospital’s heart program accredited
- The American consumer is back, with an asterisk
- Advanced Capital completes purchase of broker-dealer Lake Forest Securities
- Check online Social Security account to avoid costly errors
- Inherit? Invest
- Tom Hudson: This has been the summer of cooling energy prices
- FPL expects to reduce rates in 2015
- Condo line: Substantial surplus funds in operating budget not necessarily a good thing
- Southern Cross Stargazer for Aug. 24-30, 2014
- Civil War reenactments planned around state
- My infant daughter doesn’t have a ticket — who’s responsible?
- Florida: St. Augustine Spanish Wine Festival set for Sept. 9-13
- Jess Row’s ‘Your Face in Mine’ explores race in a fascinating context
- New surgery can relieve epileptic seizures
- Dance, yoga, art — all help Parkinson’s patients keep moving
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- Culture Shock Miami brings cheap tickets and love of the arts to youth
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former AP photo editor Toby Massey dies
- Alaska serial killer Robert Hansen dies at 75
- Mento performer Joseph 'Powda' Bennett dies at 76
- Former Vatican City governor Szoka dies at age 86
- Irish peacemaker, ex-premier Reynolds dies at 81
- Former Cuban countess Maria Duany dies at 98
- Indian yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar dies at 95
- Don Pardo: a link to TV's birth, says 'SNL' boss