It doesn't matter to John Jaso whether he's Oakland's leadoff batter, as long as he's playing. For the Athletics, he's extremely important at the top of the order, especially with Coco Crisp hurting.
On a commemorative day for newly minted Hall of Famer Greg Maddux, Cubs rookie right-hander Kyle Hendricks turned in a Maddux-like performance Sunday that just came up short.
Eric Stults was unhittable for five of his six innings against the Braves.
The White Sox flashed much of what can be good about their team in the first three games of their series against the Twins over the weekend.
When Nolan Arenado flashed some impressive glove work to help get out of a bases-loaded jam in the fifth it looked like the Colorado Rockies' day.
In a series in which so little went right for the unpredictable Indians over the first three games, it only made sense that they'd wrap up their exhausting 11-game road trip with a convincing 10-3 win over the Royals in which they seemingly could do no wrong.
Throwing strikes is not necessarily always a good thing, as the Seattle Mariners discovered Sunday.
For the first half of the season, the Los Angeles Angels' pitching staff was like a deck of cards that was constantly reshuffled. Twenty-nine pitchers made appearances. Remember Rich Hill's zero-inning appearance? What about Jarrett Grube? Jose Alvarez?
Mike Minor is working to correct flaws in his mechanics that were discovered when he looked at this year's results and matched them up to tape from his strong 2013 season.
The San Diego Padres say they will put outfielder Carlos Quentin on the 15-day disabled list on Monday because of a sore left knee.
Josh Harrison and Gregory Polanco hit back- to-back homers in the eighth inning to lift the Pittsburgh Pirates over the Colorado Rockies, 7-5, in the finale of a three-game set.
Josh Harrison proved that last month's escape in a rundown was no fluke. He also helped the Pittsburgh Pirates avoid another sweep at Coors Field.
Chris Johnson and Ryan Doumit each drove in two runs during Atlanta's six-run third inning and the Braves beat Eric Stults the San Diego Padres 8-3 on Sunday.
The Detroit Tigers traveled to Angel Stadium to find out how they stack up against another AL power.
A group of Southern California lawmakers wants the Federal Communications Commission to broker a deal to end the bitter standoff between Time Warner Cable and other pay-TV providers over distribution of SportsNet LA, the new channel that is home to the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Before he answered a question at the press conference following the Baseball Hall of Fame's induction ceremony on Sunday, Joe Torre wanted to address someone he regrettably omitted from his speech.
Manny Machado's sacrifice fly in the 10th inning helped the Baltimore Orioles to a 3-2 win in the finale of a four-game series with the Seattle Mariners on Sunday.
Manny Machado and the Baltimore Orioles are working extra hard for their wins lately.
The Kansas City Royals have six games remaining with Cleveland. Maybe they will figure out how to get out Carlos Santana before they meet again in late August.
Arizona's Miguel Montero hopes Major League Baseball changes a rule designed to protect catchers such as him.
- Guantánamo filmed guards searching Qurans for contraband, but you can't see it
- Aruba faced potentially 'severe' economic pressure over general
- Anti-Semitic messages pop up in Miami Beach, Northeast Dade
- Poll: Floridians back legalizing marijuana
- Keys men in marriage case want state Supreme Court ruling
- Obama mulls large-scale move on immigration
- Fighting in Ukraine prompts residents to flee
- With new ships, Norwegian second-quarter earnings improve
- US Court: Virginia marriage is for all lovers
- Hamas, Israel trade blame for deaths of 9 children
- Shutdown of Miami’s State Road 112 canceled
- Sarah Palin launches online subscription channel
- Iraq police find 17 bodies, some bound, in Baghdad
- Micky Arison reassures Miami Heat fans: ‘We are not done’
- Popular artificial reef and live bait spot Bug Light demolished
- Miami Dolphins rookie wide receiver Jarvis Landry catching on real fast
- Miami Dolphins running back Lamar Miller hopes to thrive in Bill Lazors new offense
- Continued surge could put Miami Marlins in buy mode for a starting pitcher
- Claw and order expected for Florida’s annual two-day lobster miniseason
- Early offense carries surging Miami Marlins past Houston Astros
- Miami Dolphins’ Cameron Wake, now 32, stills feels he’s in his prime
- With new ships, Norwegian second-quarter earnings improve
- Bonjour Television Network will offer four channels for French-speaking viewers in the United States
- Latest designer condo: FENDI Château Residences
- Study: Miami’s economic recovery ranks No. 18 in U.S.
- Equinox acquiring Sports Club/LA, including club on Miami’s Brickell Avenue
- AT&T activates 7 more South Florida cell sites
- Apollo Bank receives final approvals to acquire First Bank of Miami
- Good deals: At merchandise liquidators, buyers find more for less
- Wake up your slacking muscles
- Carolyn Hax: Whether the host or the guest, parent can’t relax
- Dear Abby: Son’s clumsiness may have a physical cause
- Fit tip: Do compression sleeves work?
- Candy-bar ‘bites’ take a bite out of wallets
- Ana Veciana-Suarez: How much sleep do I really need? Or, 7 is the new 8
- Pile this orzo pilaf onto your plate
- Jock Doc: New advances in hip-replacement surgery can help in the long term
- Tales of worldy travels take ghostly turn
- Naturalist’s book gives hope for wildlife preservation
- An A-to-Z guide to Miami Spice 2014
- ‘Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy’ brings a United Nations of talent to the Broward Center stage
- Absorbing and exquisitely acted, GableStage’s ‘The Whale’ is a study in connection
- Actors’ Playhouse returns to the Baby Boomer well for ‘Mid-Life 2! (The Crisis Continues)’
- 12 years in the making, “Boyhood” depicts coming-of-age like no other film
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of July 20
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former Seattle Mayor Paul Schell dies
- 'Up the Down Staircase' writer Kaufman dies at 103
- Charter bus entrepreneur, educator Veronica Timpson dies at 64
- Bill Thompson co-starred on 'Wallace and Ladmo'
- Venezuelan executive, human-rights advocate Thor Halvorssen dies in South Florida
- From bank security guard to vice president, Edward Duffie Sr. dies at 77
- Deaf educator and pioneer Robert Panara dies at 94
- Dan Borislow, magicJack inventor, dies at 52