The Detroit Tigers have released opening day shortstop Alex Gonzalez and purchased the contract of infielder Danny Worth from Triple-A Toledo.
New York Yankees right-hander Ivan Nova has a partial tear of the ulnar collateral ligament in his pitching elbow, an injury that often requires Tommy John surgery.
Right-hander Brandon Maurer makes his first outing of 2014 on Sunday afternoon when the Seattle Mariners visit the Miami Marlins to close out a three-game series at Marlins Park.
Left-hander Robbie Ross Jr. makes his first start against the Chicago White Sox on Sunday afternoon when the Texas Rangers host them in the finale of a three-game series at Globe Life Park.
Jesse Chavez takes another shot at his first win of the season on Sunday when the Oakland Athletics close out a three-game series with the Houston Astros at O.co Coliseum.
Kansas City right-hander Yordano Ventura makes his first career start against the Minnesota Twins on Sunday afternoon when the Royals go for a three-game sweep in the finale of a series at Kauffman Stadium.
Sometimes when a player squares off against one of the best in the major leagues, it doesn't matter what he does. He's going to lose.
Well before he reaches the mound to talk with a pitcher in duress, pitching coach Derek Lilliquist has an idea, based on the personality waiting there for him, whether he needs to "poke, prod, or pat on the back."
LOS ANGELES- As Friday night turned into Saturday, after his team struggled to score runs for the fourth night in a row, a frustrated and tired Don Mattingly said the game of baseball was "so stupid sometimes."
Lewis garners first win as long-awaited victory is sentimental for Rangers' righty; club wins fifth straight
Two career-threatening surgeries and 22 months later, Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis won a major league game again.
As Friday night turned into Saturday, after his team struggled to score runs for the fourth night in a row, a frustrated and tired Don Mattingly said the game of baseball was "so stupid sometimes."
White Sox center fielder Adam Eaton is expected to sit out at least a few days with a lower left hamstring strain that caused him to make an early exit from Saturday night's 6-3 loss to the Rangers at Globe Life Park.
The most visible of the slumping Giants is Pablo Sandoval, in large part because the third baseman is playing for a new contract. After a 3-1 loss to the San Diego Padres that came on the heels of two 2-1 defeats, manager Bruce Bochy said Sandoval would sit out and get a "mental break" Sunday.
This winter, the Rockies demolished about 4,000 seats in Coors Field's upper deck. They installed a bar with 52 beer taps and numerous restaurants. Ryne Sandberg noticed it when the Phillies took early batting practice Friday afternoon. Fly balls, he said, did not travel deep to right like they are known to at high altitude. The Phillies manager wondered if that trend would translate into the games.
Jordan Lyles worked seven-plus innings to lead the Colorado Rockies to a 3-1 win over the Philadelphia Phillies on Saturday in the second game of a three-game set.
Eric Stults tossed six solid innings and Chris Denorfia came up with a key late RBI, as San Diego slipped past San Francisco, 3-1, in the middle test of a three-game series.
After further review, there was nothing the New York Mets could do about the costly call that went against them.
Prince Fielder and Kevin Kouzmanoff both hit solo homers to lead the Texas Rangers to a 6-3 win over the Chicago White Sox in the middle test of a three-game set.
- S. Florida faithful approach Easter as a time for service
- Mayors testimony highlights own involvement in lending schemes
- Going with the flow: Water trickles into new Florida Keys aquarium
- From Cuba to the majors: Yasiel Puigs harrowing story
- 74-year-old fugitive back in Miami jail after being deported from Mexico
- On Easter, tenor Andrea Bocelli pops in at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Miami Beach
- Dry, cooler weather expected early this week in Miami area
- Cuba moves to end condom shortage by selling stock with ‘wrong expiration dates’
- One dead in strip-club shooting in Kendall
- Two sides trade jabs in debate over Major League Soccer stadium at PortMiami
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Marijuana firm buys buildings in Florida
- Florida man examines oil spill dolphin deaths
- Henderson Alvarez tosses two-hitter as Miami Marlins blank Mariners
- Miami Hurricanes extend streak to 14 with 3-2 win vs. Notre Dame
- Michelle Kaufman: Colombian soccer fans concerned about Radamel Falcao
- Miami Heat expects dogfight from Bobcats
- Nine-run eighth inning helps FAU beat FIU
- Replay decision helps Miami Marlins sweep Seattle Mariners
- South Florida runners return to Boston for emotional marathon
- Two Cooper City athletes sign with colleges
- Miami is one of the most expensive places to pay rent
- Medicare spends nearly $2 billion in South Florida
- Windridge Yacht Charters acquired by Chicago company
- Florida leads nation in new job creation
- Florida companies attract $72 million in VC funding in 1st quarter
- Riviera Focacceria Italiana now open in the Shops of Midtown Miami
- Miami Beach to host town hall meeting to discuss Beckham’s soccer proposal
- UM law students dig into healthcare policy to help a patient get life-saving treatment
- Book considers the pros and cons of fracking
- Southern Cross Stargazer for April 20-26
- Contrasting cruises big and small:Intimate SeaDream, energetic Norwegian Getaway
- Florida: Orlando Cabaret Festival opens April 25
- An empty vacation package from Expedia
- Master the Art of the Cut at Carmen y Lola in Doral
- Francine Prose reconstructs a Nazi collaborator and Paris in this dazzling historical novel.
- Book assesses the impact of the Civil Rights Act 50 years later
- PAMM’s ‘Caribbean: Crossroads of the World’ exhibit is tumultuous, thought-provoking
- Jack White records songs, releases vinyl in hours
- Billboard Latin Music Conference celebrates 25th anniversary next week in Miami
- ‘Fear Up Harsh’ propels Miami’s Christopher Demos-Brown into the national spotlight
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of April 13
- Tiny victims of a conspiracy of silence
- Stephen Colbert to replace Letterman on late show
- Streisand, Chenoweth director Richard Jay-Alexander to receive LGBT Unity Coalition award in Miami Beach
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Prizefighter Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- NASA: Engineer vital to moon landing success dies
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel Prize-winning writer, dies at 87
- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Nobel laureate, dies at 87
- World reacts to death of Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Works by Nobel laureate Gabriel Garcia Marquez
- Gabriel García Márquez: Master of magical realism, Nobel Prize winner dies