Jason Castro's fifth-inning grand slam lifted the Houston Astros to a 4-2 win over the Texas Rangers in the opener of a four-game set at Minute Maid Park.
Jason Castro broke out of his slump in a big way Thursday night.
The New York Mets have put second baseman Daniel Murphy on the 15-day disabled list because of a strained right calf and promoted infielder Dilson Herrera from Double-A.
Despite his obvious power and previous success, Orioles infielder Chris Davis has been struggling so much this season that it has become business as usual when pitchers challenge him.
On a night in which the Baltimore Orioles found all sorts of ways to score, their final run was appropriately the result of an intentional walk to a .188 hitter and an opposite-field bloop.
The New York Yankees have acquired left-hander Josh Outman in a trade with the Cleveland Indians.
Mike Minor was dominant on the mound and at the plate to lead the Atlanta Braves to a 6-1 win over the New York Mets in Thursday's series finale at Citi Field.
NEW YORK - For those who were still skeptical of Braves pitcher Mike Minor after his performance Friday at Cincinnati, where he took a no-hitter to the eighth inning, his seven-plus innings of four-hit ball Thursday against the Mets should help erase any lingering doubts.
Atlanta Braves pitchers have always had a knack for being good at the plate, as well as on the mound. Mike Minor is the newest member of the club as he showed off his arm and his bat Thursday night in a 6-1 win over the New York Mets.
NEW YORK - Jonny Venters and the Braves got the news they feared and hated to hear when an MRI exam showed the left-hander has again torn the reconstructed ulnar collateral ligament in his throwing elbow and will require a third Tommy John surgery if he hopes to pitch again.
Howie Kendrick drove in Albert Pujols with a sacrifice fly in the 10th inning, and the Los Angeles Angels opened a two-game lead atop the major league standings with a 4-3 victory Thursday night over the Oakland Athletics, who finished the game under protest over a ninth-inning obstruction call.
DETROIT - Detroit Tigers catcher Alex Avila stood or crouched at home plate for two crucial aspects of Thursday's game against the New York Yankees - two aspects which in the long and short of it can be summed up this way:
Atlanta Braves pitcher Jonny Venters has a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his left elbow, manager Fredi Gonzalez said Thursday.
The biggest impression Jordan Lyles left in his latest start came with his bat.
Philadelphia Phillies president and CEO David Montgomery is taking a medical leave of absence while he continues to recover from jaw cancer surgery, the team announced Thursday.
The New York Mets have placed right-handed pitcher Vic Black on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to Aug. 24 due to a herniated disk in his neck.
The Arizona Diamondbacks claimed outfielder Nolan Reimold off waivers Thursday from the Toronto Blue Jays.
The New York Mets have put reliever Vic Black on the 15-day disabled list because of a herniated disk in his neck and activated right-hander Daisuke Matsuzaka.
Phillies President and CEO David Montgomery is taking a leave of absence to continue his recovery from jaw cancer surgery and will be replaced by former general manager Pat Gillick.
The Kansas City Royals claimed infielder Jayson Nix off waivers Thursday among a slew of roster moves.
- South Florida mastermind of $1 billion-plus swindle faces long prison term
- Florida website aimed at the uninsured draws little interest
- Climate change’s souring effects on Haiti crops
- UN peacekeepers detained by rebel group in Golan Heights
- UN: Islamic State group threatens Syria aid access
- Egypt militants post beheading video
- Couple charged with neglect after leaving kids in car while gambling, Hialeah police say
- Dunkin’ Donuts opens kosher restaurant in Dania
- Florida Gators face tough decision on whether to run QB Jeff Driskel
- Miami Dolphins’ Daniel Thomas, Marcus Thigpen, Caleb Sturgis fail to shine in final preseason game
- Nantambu-Akil Fentress is undersized overachiever for Miami Hurricanes
- Familiarity is theme in St. Thomas Aquinas-American Heritage matchup
- Columbus Explorers outlast South Dade in game dominated by offenses
- Florida State Seminoles wary of Oklahoma State’s speedy Tyreek Hill
- Ferguson wins big over Palmetto in opener
- Several positions remain up for grabs on Miami Hurricanes’ roster
- Jackson Health System board member resigns, calls for independence from political influence
- Dunkin’ Donuts opens kosher restaurant in Dania
- Inaugural Miami New Construction Show begins Friday
- Einstein Bros. Bagels now open at Miami International Airport
- Vivendi Favors Telefónica’s $9.8 Billion Bid for Brazil Unit
- Balancing Act: Ask questions before you volunteer
- Advocates for poor say Jackson Health System bars needy from charity care
- New IKEA opens its doors
- FundraisersupportsRead toa Child
- Steve Almond considers football, our unkickable addiction
- The events of 9/11 and its aftermath shape the lives of a Washington couple in ‘Before, During, After’
- Ana Veciana-Suarez: A 9-year-old with an Uzi? That’s crazy
- Florida: Poker Run set for Sept. 18-21.
- Weekend meal recipes: Shrimp risotto, chile-chocolate brownies
- Weekday meal planner: Cubano dogs for Friday
- Carolyn Hax: One person can make a big difference standing up for another
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of Friday
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former Miami Dade College art teacher, artist Bob Huff dies at 69
- William Greaves, TV host and filmmaker, dead at 87
- Pioneering Egyptian civil rights lawyer dies at 63
- Bulgarian poet Valeri Petrov dies
- Longtime Tennessee civil rights lawyer dies at 86
- Peruvian journalist Zileri dead at 83
- Correction: Obit-Sperling story
- Correction: Britain-Obit-Richard Attenborough