Jon Lester could not find his command. There was no one pitch he could lean on or one side of the plate he could hit with any consistency.
Dallas Keuchel got plenty of sleep, did extra cardio work and stayed constantly hydrated over the last few days to prepare for his start on a scorching afternoon.
Dallas Keuchel pitched a no-hitter into the seventh inning and the Houston Astros ended the Los Angeles Angels' 10-game winning streak with a 6-1 victory on Sunday.
Los Angeles Dodgers manager Don Mattingly entered the eighth inning planning to take out Clayton Kershaw after the first batter. The left-hander retired Joe Panik on one pitch, and as Mattingly walked to the mound, he noticed Kershaw shaking his head and waving him back to the dugout.
The Chicago Cubs' century-plus failure to win the World Series will go on for at least one more year.
Minnesota Twins rookie Trevor May came out sizzling, pitching three perfect innings and striking out five.
ST. LOUIS - The magic number is 10 for the Cardinals' second straight National League Central Division title and eighth outright (plus one tie) since 2000.
After not hitting a home run in 80 plate appearances, Jose Abreu of the Chicago White Sox now has gone deep in consecutive days.
MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee Brewers took out their offensive frustrations in a major way Sunday afternoon.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Aaron Crow gazed into the visitors' bullpen for a few seconds before he looked away. He had just thrown the pitch that sunk the Royals, a thigh-high fastball on the inner half that Red Sox outfielder Daniel Nava whacked for a grand slam. As the realization dawned on the 19,065 fans at Kauffman Stadium, Crow shook his head.
The Washington Nationals have dominated the Mets for the past few seasons, particularly in New York.
Colby Lewis had a hard time recalling the last time the Texas Rangers swept a series.
St. Louis rookie Marco Gonzales grew up watching the Colorado Rockies.
The Kansas City Royals have not been to the playoffs in 29 years and are skidding towards a 30th straight season.
Daniel Nava slugged the go-ahead grand slam in the sixth inning and the Boston Red Sox walked away with an 8-4 result against the Kansas City Royals in the finale of a four-game series.
Matt Clark, a September promotion who has spent six seasons in the minors and another in Japan, is playing quite well for Milwaukee in the heat of a playoff race.
With another big late-inning home run, the Detroit Tigers reopened a 1 1/2-game AL Central lead
Jonathan Papelbon lost the lead and then lost his cool.
Rookie Trevor May struck out a season-high 10 in six innings and the Minnesota Twins overcame Jose Abreu's 35th home run, beating the Chicago White Sox 6-4 Sunday to end a four-game losing streak.
PITTSBURGH - The Pirates infield turned a triple play, Neil Walker broke a storied franchise home-run record, and a fifth-inning, come-from-behind rally turned today into one fine day at the ballpark for the Pirates.
- Police: 6 hurt in shooting outside Alaska bar
- Road Ranger injured by out-of-control car on I-95
- Malaysia Airlines flight has autopilot defect
- Powerful Hurricane Odile bears in on Mexico's Baja
- Storm shutters stolen up and down Florida Keys
- US man in North Korea given 6 years of hard labor
- Pia Zadora to have ankle surgery after accident
- Greg Norman recovering from chain-saw accident
- Quarterback Brad Kaaya throws for most yards in a game by a true freshman in UM history as Hurricanes defeat Arkansas State
- Miami Marlins rally in the 9th to beat Philadelphia Phillies, snap 4-game skid
- UF narrowly escapes at home as Gators struggle with Kentucky Wildcats
- Florida Gators’ tough win reveals problems in defensive backfield
- Miami Dolphins lose Knowshon Moreno to injury in listless loss to Buffalo Bills
- Armando Salguero: Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill consistently not good enough
- Problems with third-down conversions hampering FIU
- Kike Hernandez’s first home run for Miami Marlins has emotional touch
- South Florida medical simulation company quietly becomes a force in industry
- New platform, events for startups, small businesses
- Startup Spotlight: KK Swimwear
- Tips for getting caught up at work
- THIS WEEK
- Gateway City: South Florida, T-shirt king, dethroned
- Patients take on more of healthcare costs, but struggle to find prices
- What Florida employers need to know about the unconstitutionality of Florida’ workers’ compensation statute
- A young woman seeks missing paintings in Nazi-occupied France in ‘Lisette’s List’
- What are you reading now?
- ‘What Stays in Vegas’ examines data packaging and the end of privacy
- Book review: ‘Mean Streak.’ A conk on the head leads to amazing twists
- A family faces quiet desperation in Queens in ‘We Are Not Ourselves’
- How a young America humbled the Royal Navy in ‘Give Me a Fast Ship’
- Lighthouse Larry’s crazy idea: Open-water, 8-mile swim to benefit Fla. Keys lighthouses
- Southern Cross Stargazer for Sept. 14-20, 2014
- At Fort Lauderdale‘s Empire Stage, shorts from Pigs Do Fly fail to take off
- Miami’s Cannonball launches effort to improve discourse over art and artists
- Celebrity birthdays on Sept 12
- Miami-Dade’s Ricky Ubeda wins ‘So You Think You Can Dance’
- Cuba’s Danzabierta performs a glittery psychological portrait with “Showroom” in Miami
- Brazilian singer Caetano Veloso brings the art of musical change to Miami Beach
- Ode to puzzles on target
- Gameday Grub: Guide to new food and returning fan favorites at Sun Life Stadium
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Spanish department store head Alvarez dies at 79
- Japan's World War II film idol Rikoran dies at 94
- Jazz-funk pioneer Joe Sample dies at 75
- WS star Frank Torre, Joe's brother, dies at 82
- Miami artist, clothes designer Joyce Lux dies at 94
- Andrew Kay, inventor who pioneered compact computers, dies at 95
- Protestant firebrand Ian Paisley dies at 88
- Nicole Kidman's father dies in Singapore