Marlins 6, Braves 5
Jacob Turner pitched five strong innings, and the Marlins survived a late Braves rally for their third win in a row.
Though the Marlins came close to completing a trade for Oakland A’s reliever Jim Johnson in late May, according to one published report, their interest in the former closer didn’t stop there.
Marlins 3, Braves 1 (10)
The desperate Marlins started a big series against the first-place Braves in glorious fashion, pushing across two runs in the 10th inning to steal a victory.
After watching the Marlins routinely trade players to dump salary, All-Star outfielder Giancarlo Stanton has made it known that he wants to see the team start showing franchise stability and a commitment to winning.
Marlins 3, Giants 2
Brad Hand gives Marlins’ bullpen some needed rest, going seven strong innings as Miami snaps its six-game losing streak.
The Marlins promoted right-hander Anthony DeSclafani on Sunday, less than 12 hours after Miami manager Mike Redmond hinted at bringing up an extra arm to help a “thin bullpen.”
Giants 5, Marlins 3
The punchless Marlins lost their sixth game in a row and saw All-Star hurler Henderson Alvarez leave in the third inning with a bruised left shin.
Valdespin was hitting .277 for Triple A New Orleans this year and had a .288 average so far in July. He made 160 major-league appearances with the Mets over the course of 2012 and 2013, hitting .219.
Giants 9, Marlins 1
The Marlins began the second half of the season pretty much where they left off before the All-Star break, with a disappointing effort against the Giants.
Outside of Casey McGehee, it hasn’t been a good year for the Marlins in terms of their reclamation projects, with Rafael Furcal and Randy Wolf serving as two prime examples of once-solid players who haven’t panned out.
At this point last year, the Marlins’ season was already toast. This year, the team has some work to do, but they still have a fighting chance for a postseason.
Giancarlo Stanton says he’ll always ‘cherish’ his time as an All-Star despite his 0-for-3 showing at the plate and flaming out in the Home Run Derby.
High School Baseball
Former Marlins pitcher Scott Olsen took over the floundering Dr. Krop High baseball team and with the help of an ‘assistant’ generated hope.
All-Star Game | American League 5, National League 3
Derek Jeter had two hits and scored a run in his final All-Star Game to help the AL win.
Baseball | Home Run Derby
The Marlins’ Giancarlo Stanton was the favorite going into the Home Run Derby, but he bombed out with no home runs in the semifinals.
It took an injury and a spot opening up for the Marlins’ Henderson Alvarez to land a place on the All-Star team.
Mets 9, Marlins 1
The Marlins lost for the fifth time in six games and dropped into fourth place for the first time since May 4.
Even though the Marlins sputtered toward the finish line before the All-Star break and sit a season-worst six games under .500 after Sunday’s 9-1 loss to the Mets, president of baseball operations Mike Hill said he hasn’t lost faith in his clubhouse making a run at a playoff spot this season.
Mets 5, Marlins 4
Bryan Morris gave up a score-tying, two-run homer in the seventh, and the Marlins fell a season-worst five games under .500.
Henderson Alvarez won’t be going back home to Venezuela for the All-Star break after all — and he’s not the least disappointed.
- Hurricanes coach Barrow leaves football program
- 62 killed in Gaza; Israeli soldier feared captured
- Decision to drop hit-and-run case sparks outrage
- STDs are on the rise in Miami-Dade County
- After Gov. Scotts secret trip to King Ranch, he tapped a ranch executive for state regulatory board
- Three charged in airport lounge scam
- Feds to monitor Fla. election law changes
- Fla. judge orders new congressional map
- South Florida coral stone landscaper Benjamin Bistrong dies at 44
- Federal court case shows ex-Miami Rep. David Rivera is ‘co-conspirator’
- Ethnic politics, ethics issues spill over into some judicial races in Miami-Dade
- LGBT-rights group Equality Florida raises profile, builds clout
- US job growth eases but tops 200K for a 6th month
- Obama lavishes praise on Housing Secretary
- Miami Heat’s Dwyane Wade ready for challenge following LeBron James’ departure
- Miami Dolphins Don Jones humbled, changed since anti-gay tweets
- Miami Dolphins Knowshon Moreno still recovering from knee issues
- David J. Neal: NFL fumbled on Ray Rice punishment, then tried to justify it
- Miami Hurricanes’ QB position in flux again as Kevin Olsen faces at least one-game suspension
- Man who died scuba diving was added to Miami Hurricanes roster a day earlier
- Miami Marlins acquire pitcher Jarred Cosart in six-player deal
- Greg Cote: LeBron-Heat saga unfolds, and its stranger than first thought
- Ladenburg Thalmann Financial Services acquires Highland Capital Brokerage
- IRS commissioner visits Miami to spotlight viral ID theft, tax fraud
- Stonegate Bank reports lower second quarter earnings
- Florida’s largest health insurer, Florida Blue, is raising exchange rates an average of 17.6 percent
- Florida mental and behavioral healthcare providers get funding boost from Affordable Care Act
- U.S. Century Bank reports a loss for the second quarter, continues to plan for a recapitalization
- MTN Communications announces contracts with three cruise lines
- Miami International Airport sees slight uptick in passengers
- Dive into Greek culture on the Florida coast? Opa!
- STDs are on the rise in Miami-Dade
- It’s the season to see Key Deer
- Fasting can improve chemo effects
- Dear Abby: Obsession over six-pack abs puts swimmer in unsafe water
- Chew on This: Spices make food flavorful, and more healthy
- Carolyn Hax: Siblings not pitching in when mother needs them
- What’s the difference between skin rejuvenation and skin resurfacing?
- WWE’s Bautista, Glenn Close, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Chris Pratt in Marvel’s ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’
- A branch of O Cinema may be coming to North Beach
- Comic-Con 2014: Hollywood stirs fan fervor
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of July 27
- Tales of worldy travels take ghostly turn
- Naturalist’s book gives hope for wildlife preservation
- An A-to-Z guide to Miami Spice 2014
- ‘Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy’ brings a United Nations of talent to the Broward Center stage
- The Herald recommends: For Broward County Commission
- The Herald recommends for Miami-Dade, Broward commissions
- The Herald recommends: For Miami-Dade County Commission
- Right issue, wrong response on children at the border
- The Herald recommends for School Board and property appraiser
- The Herald recommends
- Israel’s challenge
- Worth a thousand words
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- South Florida coral stone landscaper Benjamin Bistrong dies at 44
- Manny Roth, founder of Café Wha?, dead at 94
- Guitarist, songwriter for Alice Cooper dies at 71
- Hotelier Saul Tamen, who brought kitchens to South Beach hotels, dies at 105
- Correction: Obit-Robert Drew story
- 'Godfather of Makeup' Dick Smith dead at 92
- Veteran TV impresario Robert Halmi Sr. dies at 90
- Cinema verite documentarian Robert Drew dies at 90