mets 4, marlins 3
Giancarlo Stanton homered for the third game in a row, but his eighth-inning shot only pulled the Marlins within one run, as the Mets took the series.
After becoming only the second player in Marlins history to hit the 35-homer/100-RBI milestone, Giancarlo Stanton said it is much too soon to sit back and admire the accomplishment.
Mets 8, Marlins 6
Brad Penny lasted only three innings, and Giancarlo Stanton’s 35th homer couldn’t keep the Marlins from falling to a 16-hit attack by the Mets.
Miami Marlins notebook
Andrew Heaney was the most compelling name among a handful of minor-leaguers called up Tuesday by the Marlins. But the team’s plans for the pitcher are vague and could depend on the health of injured starter Henderson Alvarez.
MARLINS 9, METS 6
The Marlins earned a sloppy victory over the Mets, but Henderson Alvarez was diagnosed with an oblique strain and his availability is in question.
Marlins | Brad Penny
Don’t look for Brad Penny to take aim on an old nemesis, the New York Mets, when he faces them Tuesday.
Marlins 4, Braves 0
The Marlins came dangerously close to running out of time before they could finalize a deal for Jarred Cosart last month at the trade deadline.
Braves 1, Marlins 0
Nathan Eovaldi did his job Sunday.
Miami Marlins notebook
The Marlins on Sunday wrapped up the month of August by making one small move at the waiver trade deadline.
When the Marlins invested more than $32 million on catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, first baseman Garrett Jones and second baseman Rafael Furcal, the idea wasn’t solely for them to provide veteran leadership.
Braves 5, Marlins 2
Garrett Jones struggled offensively and defensively as the slumping Marlins fell farther behind in the wild-card race.
Fantasy football season has officially made its way back into the Marlins clubhouse.
It took him 431 at-bats, but Adeiny Hechavarria on Wednesday finally got his first home run. If only earning the respect of baseballs data crunchers, the sabermetric community, could come so easy.
Angels 6, Marlins 1
Adeiny Hechavarria wasn’t himself on Wednesday. Henderson Alvarez wasn’t, either.
But those feelings, he said, aren’t meant to imply anything about his future intentions with the team.
Angels 8, Marlins 2
Nathan Eovaldi was pumping fastballs. The Los Angeles Angels were producing hits. Fastball. Hit. Fastball hit. By the time the Angels were done abusing Eovaldi — and he was done early on Tuesday — they had peppered him to the tune of 10 hits.
Thrust into the spot at the top of the order, Christian Yelich entered Tuesday with the highest on-base percentage of any regular leadoff hitter in the majors.
The ball that Giancarlo Stanton clubbed for his 150th home run bounced off a couple of boulders beyond the left-field wall at Angel Stadium in Monday’s 7-1 Marlins victory.
Marlins 7, Angels 1
Growing up in Southern California, Giancarlo Stanton remembers going to what is now called Angel Stadium, hanging out in the outfield bleachers during batting practice, and chasing down home runs.
The chance of the Marlins making the playoffs is assessed at 2.8 to 4.3 percent — and their schedule is of no assistance.
- Gamers use police hoax to lash out at opponents
- Pedestrian killed crossing State Road 7 in Broward
- Police seek huge boa on loose in Nampa
- Police: 6 hurt in shooting outside Alaska bar
- Road Ranger injured by out-of-control car on I-95
- Malaysia Airlines flight has autopilot defect
- Powerful Hurricane Odile bears in on Mexico's Baja
- Storm shutters stolen up and down Florida Keys
- Miami Dolphins lose Knowshon Moreno to injury in listless loss to Buffalo Bills
- Armando Salguero: Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill consistently not good enough
- Problems with third-down conversions hampering FIU
- Al Golden, Miami Hurricanes set on making adjustments before game against Nebraska Cornhuskers
- Quarterback Brad Kaaya throws for most yards in a game by a true freshman in UM history as Hurricanes defeat Arkansas State
- Miami Marlins rally in the 9th to beat Philadelphia Phillies, snap 4-game skid
- UF narrowly escapes at home as Gators struggle with Kentucky Wildcats
- Kike Hernandez’s first home run for Miami Marlins has emotional touch
- South Florida medical simulation company quietly becomes a force in industry
- New platform, events for startups, small businesses
- Startup Spotlight: KK Swimwear
- Tips for getting caught up at work
- THIS WEEK
- Gateway City: South Florida, T-shirt king, dethroned
- Patients take on more of healthcare costs, but struggle to find prices
- What Florida employers need to know about the unconstitutionality of Florida’ workers’ compensation statute
- A young woman seeks missing paintings in Nazi-occupied France in ‘Lisette’s List’
- What are you reading now?
- ‘What Stays in Vegas’ examines data packaging and the end of privacy
- A family faces quiet desperation in Queens in ‘We Are Not Ourselves’
- Book review: ‘Mean Streak.’ A conk on the head leads to amazing twists
- How a young America humbled the Royal Navy in ‘Give Me a Fast Ship’
- Lighthouse Larry’s crazy idea: Open-water, 8-mile swim to benefit Fla. Keys lighthouses
- Southern Cross Stargazer for Sept. 14-20, 2014
- At Fort Lauderdale‘s Empire Stage, shorts from Pigs Do Fly fail to take off
- Miami’s Cannonball launches effort to improve discourse over art and artists
- Celebrity birthdays on Sept 12
- Miami-Dade’s Ricky Ubeda wins ‘So You Think You Can Dance’
- Cuba’s Danzabierta performs a glittery psychological portrait with “Showroom” in Miami
- Brazilian singer Caetano Veloso brings the art of musical change to Miami Beach
- Ode to puzzles on target
- Gameday Grub: Guide to new food and returning fan favorites at Sun Life Stadium
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Spanish department store head Alvarez dies at 79
- Japan's World War II film idol Rikoran dies at 94
- Jazz-funk pioneer Joe Sample dies at 75
- WS star Frank Torre, Joe's brother, dies at 82
- Miami artist, clothes designer Joyce Lux dies at 94
- Andrew Kay, inventor who pioneered compact computers, dies at 95
- Protestant firebrand Ian Paisley dies at 88
- Nicole Kidman's father dies in Singapore