A day after a controversial, eighth-inning overturned call at the plate helped wipe out a chance at getting back to .500, the Marlins sent their best active pitcher All-Star Henderson Alvarez to the 15-day disabled list on Friday with shoulder inflammation.
Reds 3, Marlins 1
The Marlins lost to the Reds after a play at the plate, in which Cincinnati’s Zack Cozart was thrown out at the plate, was reversed.
The Marlins bolstered their starting rotation by acquiring Jarred Cosart from the Astros. Miami gave up prospects Colin Moran and Jake Marisnick in the deal, which also netted outfielder Enrique “Kiké” Hernandez.
NATIONALS 4, MARLINS 3
The Marlins’ season-long six-game winning streak came to an end Wednesday, but Miami has its eyes set on being a buyer at the trade deadline on Thursday.
The Marlins’ quest to upgrade their starting rotation figures to lead all the way up until Thursday’s 4p.m. trade deadline. But just because they want to be buyers, it doesn’t mean they plan to spend foolishly, president of baseball operations Mike Hill said Wednesday.
In My Opinion
Its funny how in sports there are varying ways to see Fortune .500. The Dolphins go 8-8 and its unfortunate. It gets the general manager gone and leaves fans empty. It feels like losing. But the Marlins get back up to even and fans feel as if theyve hit the lottery. The climb is fulfilling. It feels like winning.
Monday night’s thrilling come-from-behind win against the division-leading Nationals wasn’t the first time Mike Redmond was on the bench for a big Marlins comeback.
Marlins 3, Nationals 0
The Marlins have said throughout their recent red-hot run that theyre going to need more than the usual suspects to carry them if theyre going to make a serious playoff push.
Marlins 7, Nationals 6
The Marlins rallied from a 6-0 deficit and scored four runs in the ninth inning to beat the Nationals and record their biggest win of the season.
Thanks to the just-completed 6-1 trip, the Marlins don’t look like they will be shipping off any pieces to save money at Thursday’s trade deadline.
Marlins 4, Astros 2
Jacob Turner got back-to-back wins for the first time in his career as the Marlins completed the best seven-game trip in franchise history.
Miami Marlins notebook
Giancarlo Stanton hasnt played in many meaningful games with the Marlins, who have finished last in every one of his four seasons except for his first.
Marlins 7, Astros 3
The Marlins put up five runs during the first two innings and rolled to their sixth win in seven games, adding intrigue as the trade deadline nears.
When it comes to overturning calls using baseball’s new replay rules, no team is doing it better than the Marlins. Miami has been successful on 17 of its 21 challenges this season, giving the Marlins an 80 percent success rate that is tops in the majors.
Marlins 2, Astros 0
Brad Hand pitched into the eighth inning, allowing only three hits in his second strong outing in a row, as the Marlins beat the Astros for their fifth win in six games.
Players don’t normally come under questioning after they have gone three games without a hit. Three-game drought? No big deal. It happens to the best of them.
Marlins 3, Braves 2
Jarrod Saltalamacchia got the game-winning hit, Henderson Alvarez had a strong outing and the Marlins beat the Braves’ star closer to win three of four against Atlanta.
Miami Marlins notebook
The season has turned into anything but a pleasant homecoming for Jarrod Saltalamacchia, who is struggling at the plate and behind it for the Marlins.
Braves 6, Marlins 1
The Braves, in danger of losing four in a row to Miami, attacked Nathan Eovaldi in the firs two innings while Ervin Santana kept the Marlins’ bats at bay.
Steve Cishek doesn’t have the quickest delivery. And he isn’t one to overly concern himself with base runners, preferring instead to focus most of his attention on the hitter.
- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters hurt
- Barcelona soccer academy coming to Fort Lauderdale
- Duo’s car theft at Biscayne Boulevard Kmart is thwarted after gunman shows up, Miami-Dade police say
- Spaniard convicted of laundering drug profits in Miami condos and cars faces possible life sentence
- Fade to black: Leonard Maltin ending movie guides
- St. Louis police release video of shooting
- Israel kills 3 Hamas military commanders in Gaza
- 122 South Florida companies make Inc. 5000 list
- Greg Cote: It’s time to welcome Pete Rose back to baseball
- Miami Central Rockets ready for Hoover in opener
- Miami Marlins have flair for the dramatic with one-run games
- Improvement in consistency for Miami Dolphins’ Will Davis
- Miami Hurricanes enjoy surplus of talented cornerbacks
- St. Thomas Aquinas Raiders start fast in prep for opener
- In-shape Calvin Heurtelou adjusts to Miami Hurricanes’ 3-4 defense
- Florida State Seminoles focused on opener against Oklahoma State Cowboys
- Jungle Island to host Halloween experience
- For Brazil, World Cup success fuels hope for more tourists at Rio Olympics
- Winn-Dixie parent Bi-Lo withdraws plans to take company public
- US judge readies response to Argentina’s threats
- Brazil expands labor rights for domestic workers
- Miami Beach may ban commercial hand-billing in busy areas
- TigerDirect to hold redesign celebration in Aventura
- Perry Ellis’ second quarter net loss narrows
- Crisp and affordable, Spanish white wines won’t dent your wallet
- SeaWorld drops appeal of OSHA violation
- Sleep disorders may be behind a child’s lack of concentration
- Global cruise lines set sail for China
- No slime: Indian dish brings out the best of okra
- Cats can pick up virus at vet’s, but they can also transmit it themselves
- 7 new ways to build a 7-layer salad
- Water bath takes some bite out of bitter radicchio
- Miami’s Mad Cat delivers a smokin’ fine and funny ‘Centralia’
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- Culture Shock Miami brings cheap tickets and love of the arts to youth
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
- The Herald recommends: City of Miami ballot questions
- The Herald recommends: Doral charter amendments
- The Herald recommends: Yes on all Miami Beach charter questions
- Back to school
- The Herald recommends, for Governor, Democratic primary
- The CIA’s shameful secrets
- Death penalty woes
- Voters beware of boleteras
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former AP photo editor Toby Massey dies
- Alaska serial killer Robert Hansen dies at 75
- Mento performer Joseph 'Powda' Bennett dies at 76
- Former Vatican City governor Szoka dies at age 86
- Irish peacemaker, ex-premier Reynolds dies at 81
- Former Cuban countess Maria Duany dies at 98
- Indian yoga guru B.K.S. Iyengar dies at 95
- Don Pardo: a link to TV's birth, says 'SNL' boss