Marlins 5, Phillies 4 (11)
Ed Lucas’ RBI single in the 11th inning led the Marlins past the Phillies as Henderson Alvarez gave Miami another stellar effort.
On Monday, 10 months’ worth of internal trade talks by the Houston Astros’ front office were leaked online by computer hackers. Among a couple of discussions involving the Marlins and Astros was a conversation on Nov. 15 that included talk over Stanton.
The Marlins’ Henderson Alvarez goes through some unusual routines on the mound, but it’s just a prelude to his arsenal of effective pitches.
Marlins outfielder Christian Yelich was available to manager Mike Redmond on Sunday for the first time since June 13, when Yelich sustained a lower-back strain.
Athletics 4, Marlins 3
The As finished a three-game sweep of the Marlins, dropping them four games under .500. They got big hits, and we didnt, Jeff Baker said.
Athletics 7, Marlins 6 (14)
The majors-best Athletics again edged the Marlins in their final at-bat, this time with a two-out rally against Jacob Turner in the 14th.
Giancarlo Stanton has informed National League captain Troy Tulowitzki that he plans to participate in next month’s Home Run Derby at the All-Star Game in Minneapolis.
Athletics 9, Marlins 5
The Marlins took a lead by erasing a four-run deficit but then watched the Athletics tie it in the eighth inning and tack on four more runs in the ninth off Steve Cishek.
Phillies 5, Marlins 3 (14)
The Marlins blew a lead and then lost in the 14th inning to the Phillies when Chase Utley launched a walk-off, two-run homer off Chris Hatcher.
Miami Marlins notebook
After losing a 14-inning, 4-hour 41-minute marathon to the Phillies on Thursday night, the Marlins came home a tired bunch.
The Marlins are the proud owners of the best interleague record in the majors, but the Oakland A’s boast the best overall record in the majors.
marlins 3, phillies 2
Henderson Alvarez got out of multiple jams, and Miami did just enough damage against former Marlin A.J. Burnett to edge the Phillies and get back to the .500 mark at 39-39.
Marlins catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia received high praise from the Phillies for his kindhearted gesture during Tuesday’s game when Tony Gwynn Jr. was sent in to pinch-hit for the first time since his Hall of Fame father’s death last week.
PHILLIES 7, MARLINS 4
Andrew Heaney gave up a two-run homer in the first inning, threw a run-scoring wild pitch in the second and the Marlins fell below .500.
Steve Cishek called it “ridiculous.” Casey McGehee said it was “inexcusable.”
Marlins 4, Phillies 0
Nathan Eovaldi recorded 13 fly outs, but no hit by the Phillies left the homer-friendly field as the Marlins won the opener of a four-game series.
Come the July 31 trading deadline, the Marlins might be more inclined to make a deal to upgrade their roster if the team is in the division race as opposed to simply being in the larger wild-card fray.
Mets 11, Marlins 5
The Marlins ended their longest homestand of the season Sunday with another disappointing performance.
Derek Dietrich rejoined the Marlins on Sunday with a chance to remain the team’s starting second baseman for the next two weeks and possibly longer.
Marlins 3, Mets 2
Left fielder Marcell Ozuna threw out two runners at the plate — one to end the game — as the Marlins beat the Mets.
- Some South Florida docs decline to accept Obamacare
- Amid probe, another DCI inmate death is under scrutiny
- Redistricting ruling could mean big change, or status quo
- Venezuela opposition leaders call for U.S. sanctions amid simmering political, economic crises
- Congressional ringer Justin Sternard, saying he was duped by David Rivera, gets 7 months
- Florida executes man for 1994 rape, murder of girl
- Obama: US willing to negotiate Israel cease-fire
- Military brass backed Bergdahl prisoner swap
- Miami Heat loses LeBron James, but Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade to return
- Two Florida Panthers prospects prove South Florida can be recruiting hotbed
- Miami Marlins starter Henderson Alvarez hit hard in loss to New York Mets
- Greg Cote: South Florida should react with gratitude, not anger, over LeBron James departure
- Armando Salguero: LeBron James emotional choice is big gamble
- Miami Marlins Giancarlo Stanton says LeBrons decision took a lot of guts
- Miami Heat fans in disbelief as LeBron James leaves
- LeBron James: A timeline of his Miami Heat career
- Jose Diaz-Balart to host weekday MSNBC news show from Miami
- World Cup defeat can hurt domestic stock market
- Fanny pack mixup unravels massive Medicare fraud scheme in Key Biscayne
- Feds hit payday lender with $10 million in penalties, refunds
- Lawsuit filed against Aventura Hospital after a patient was killed by another patient
- Spirit Airlines offering free miles to “haters”
- Judge dismisses two city of Miami predatory lending lawsuits
- US considers a strategic propane reserve
- Carnival is rockin’ the boat with shipboard concerts
- Antebellum Trail meanders through towns that Gen. Sherman spared
- Boys will be boys (and sometimes girls) in Ariel Schrag’s ‘Adam’
- Biographer examines the contributions of John Quincy Adams
- Florida: Lake Placid Caladium Festival set for July 25-27
- Ana Veciana-Suarez: I’m stressed out, but so is everyone else
- Magens Bay: Pirate hangout now a beach for tourists
- Visitors wait 5 hours for Harry Potter ride
- ‘Calígula’: disturbing, richly provoking, void of hope
- The Arsht Center aims to make a splash with its immersive summer show ‘H2OMBRE’
- Remembering Roger Ebert
- Miley Cyrus dating producer; what will happen to Real Housewives of Atlanta star Phaedra Parks?
- Former ‘Bachelor’ winner Courtney Robertson writes of love
- Manu Bennett, FSCW, Headlocked, Hurricane storm through South Florida at Florida Supercon
- Glee star Chris Colfer visits Miami’s Books & Books with ‘Land of Stories’
- Miami’s XXIX International Hispanic Theatre Festival puts Argentina in the spotlight
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Eileen Ford, whose agency set standards for the modeling industry, dies at 92
- Associate: Tommy Ramone, last of the Ramones, dies
- Skilled jazz bassist Charlie Haden dies at 76
- 'Harry Potter' actor Legeno dies in Death Valley
- Ken Thorne, Oscar-winning composer, dies at 90
- John Seigenthaler, Tennessee journalist, dies
- Alaska Native land-claims leader dies
- Indian actress and dancer Zohra Sehgal dies