Henderson Alvarez, who ended the 2013 season with a no-hitter against the Detroit Tigers and is expected to be the Marlins No.3 starter when the season begins, will miss his first scheduled start of the spring as he recovers from an infection in his right shin.
Its pretty rare when a future first-round pick in baseball gets the chance to face a future Heisman Trophy winner.
Team president David Samson showed up to the jungle with a blazer and leadership cred. But his teammates didn’t turn out to be fans.
Baseballs new experimental rule aimed at protecting players from being injured in egregious collisions at the plate was met with mixed reactions Tuesday inside the Marlins clubhouse.
College Baseball Hall of Fame
Former UM and Marlins star Alex Fernandez will be inducted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame in June.
Marlins | Angel Sanchez
Six of the Marlins top 10 minor league prospects are pitchers, according to Baseball America.
Brian Bogusevic’s locker inside the Marlins’ spring training clubhouse is located on the north wall, between two pitchers — Carlos Marmol and Chris Hatcher — who were once projected to be hitters.
Only four Marlins remain from the high-priced 2012 squad that was supposed to contend, but those left can finally see some positive light from all the moves.
Pro athletes arent normally known for their political activism.
Miami Marlins notebook
Instant replay might have spared Mike Redmond from being thrown out the only time umpires ejected him as a player. Redmond is convinced replay would have proved him right on a call at the plate that didnt go the catchers way when he was with the Minnesota Twins.
The Marlins have gotten progressively worse in each of Giancarlo Stantons four seasons. I dont want a career like that, he said.
Jeff Baker has the names of his platoon partners over the years etched in memory.
The Miami Marlins are softening their stance on stubble.
Frank Menechino, the Marlins’ new hitting coach, takes a blue-collar approach to his job. ‘I had to work for everything I had,’ he said.
Major League Baseballs plan to eliminate violent plays at home-plate is drawing groans from Marlins catchers.
Many couldn’t pay their medical bills and others would die because he said there were no ambulances and no fire trucks.
The Marlins do not plan to make a multiyear offer to right fielder Giancarlo Stanton until after the season, which is fine with him.
Because theyre not counting on him to preserve leads in the ninth inning, the Marlins arent looking at unpredictable reliever Carlos Marmol as a high-risk gamble, a powder keg awaiting to erupt.
The Miami Marlins and veteran utility infielder Jeff Baker have agreed on a two-year-deal worth $3.7 million.
The Marlins signed veteran outfielder Reed Johnson to a minor-league contract that includes an invitation to spring training.
- 'Star Trek' actor Chris Pine pleads guilty to DUI
- Magnitude-6.7 quake hits Chile's northern coast
- Despite high prices, spring breakers back in town
- 1 killed, another wounded in Homestead shooting
- Oprah Winfrey to sell Harpo Studios in Chicago
- Syrian army ousts rebels from border stronghold
- Sam Champion to debut new Weather Channel AMHQ morning show on Monday
- Fatal pummeling in Key West: Fantasy Fest murder trial begins Monday
- Florida State Seminoles make NIT cut
- Hialeah Park bets on boxing to be winner
- Ray Allen leads Miami Heat in win over Houston Rockets
- Florida Gators thwart Kentucky rally, win SEC crown
- FIU baseball team gets swept by Rice thanks to costly errors
- Brad Hand could be in line for a spot in the Miami Marlins rotation
- Linda Robertson: NCAA bracket perfection is just a dream
- Greg Oden starts for Miami Heat against Houston Rockets
- Q&A: John Clarke and Martin Lynch of JohnMartin’s Irish Pub & Restaurant
- Fast-growing Florida Community Bank is strengthening its foothold in Miami-Dade and Broward
- Entrepreneurship datebook and startup news to note
- South Florida inventors face challenges bringing ideas to market
- Protect your brand: Know what you stand for, and stick to it!
- DonorCommunity expands, now serves more than 140 nonprofits
- Major discussion at the Wolfsonian-FIU to explore whether the Internet is a blessing or a curse
- Older business owners holding on longer to their businesses, potentially facing increased risks
- Ana Veciana-Suarez: Don’t allow teachers to carry guns in school
- Southern Cross Stargazer for March 16-22, 2014
- Chasing waterfalls in western North Carolina
- Homeowner association can hold candidate forums
- Billed by American Airlines — and then billed again
- Jazz in the Gardens fans want more than just music; they also want seafood
- What’s wrong with my avocado tree?
- Experience Hawaii the easy way: By cruise ship
- GableStage‘s ‘The Mountaintop’ ascends to excellence
- Area Stage offers another take on Anne Frank’s familiar story
- Beer of the week: Black’s Dawn has a kick of coffee
- Multimedia spectacle featuring Robert Redford and environmental awareness lights up Miami’s YoungArts Foundation
- Wynwood art cinema makes upgrades
- Two Miami-made films tell stories of the city’s unique music scene
- GableStage’s ‘The Mountaintop’ shows a different side of Martin Luther King Jr.
- David Mamet’s ‘The Anarchist’ gets its post-Broadway debut in Fort Lauderdale
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former Georgia congressman Bo Callaway dies
- Former director of U.S. Marshals Service Eduardo Gonzalez dies
- Comedian David Brenner, ‘Tonight' favorite, dies
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Burn center found Dr. A. Grossman dies at 81
- Man known as kissing sailor in WWII-era image dies
- Longtime Hollywood reporter Bob Thomas dead at 92
- Tony Benn, devoted British socialist, dies at 88