Henderson Alvarez won’t be going back home to Venezuela for the All-Star break after all — and he’s not the least disappointed.
Mets 7, Marlins 1
Henderson Alvarezs team-record run of leading the Marlins to victories in 10 consecutive starts came to a halt Friday night with a series of thumps.
Even though hes from Los Angeles and a Lakers fan, Giancarlo Stanton never passed up an opportunity to go watch the Heat with LeBron James in town. So what was Stantons reaction to Fridays news James is headed back home to Cleveland?
Marcell Ozuna has excelled at the plate and in the outfield despite being an also-ran in All-Star voting.
DIAMONDBACKS 4, MARLINS 3 (10)
Spotty command hurt closer Steve Cishek, who didnt retire a batter and failed to hold a two-run lead in the 10th inning.
Marcell Ozuna came through for the Marlins in a way no previous player ever had for them on Tuesday when his home run in the ninth propelled Miami to a 2-1 win over Arizona.
After being informed by St. Louis Cardinals manager Mike Matheny during batting practice on Sunday that he hadn’t made the All-Star team, Casey McGehee went out and collected a pair of hits.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 1
The Miami Marlins were down to their last strike in the ninth inning when Marcell Ozuna lifted them past the Arizona Diamondbacks with a two-run home run.
Diamondbacks 9, Marlins 1
Fresh off paternity leave, Tom Koehler made his way back to the mound for the Marlins for the first time since the birth of his daughter. Based on the unsightly results, he probably wished he was back home changing diapers or mixing formula — anything but taking his lumps on a baseball field.
Mike Burgess, who once beat Marlins All-Star Giancarlo Stanton in a minor-league home run derby, hopes to one day join Stanton in the majors.
Casey McGehee isn’t leading his own campaign to land a spot in the All-Star Game, saying it makes him feel “weird” and “uncomfortable to help out my own cause.”
Marlins 6, Cardinals 5
Donovan Solano was pooped, his mouth parched.
Marlins 8, Cardinals 4
If not for Clayton Kershaw, a convincing argument could be made that Henderson Alvarez is the best pitcher in the majors at the moment. On Sunday, Alvarez provided further evidence of that, pitching and hitting the Marlins to an 8-4 victory over the Cardinals.
Miami Marlins’ Giancarlo Stanton gets first All-Star nod, but upset about snubs for Casey McGehee, Henderson Alvarez
Giancarlo Stanton is not only going to his first All-Star Game and taking part in the Home Run Derby, but was informed by Cardinals manager Mike Matheny that he’ll be in the starting lineup as the National League designated hitter.
Following yet another disappointing outing by the young lefty, the Marlins demoted Andrew Heaney back to Triple A New Orleans.
Phillies 5, Marlins 4
Donovan Solano’s miscues helped the Phillies score two runs in the ninth inning against closer Steve Cishek to beat the Marlins, who had rallied to take the lead in the eighth.
If the fans don’t vote Giancarlo Stanton onto the starting lineup for the All-Star game as an outfielder, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny can put him on there as the National League’s designated hitter.
Cardinals 3, Mets 2
Miami Marlins’ late rally falls short as rough sequence for Giancarlo Stanton results in loss to St. Louis Cardinals
Giancarlo Stanton couldn’t quite get to the ball that fell to his left. Nor was his reach long enough to catch the one hit that looped over his head.
Miami Marlins notebook
The deadline for fans to vote for the All-Star Game was 11:59 p.m. Thursday night, and barring some ballot-stuffing that hasn’t been seen before, Marlins third baseman Casey McGehee is going to need the support of his peers in the player vote to earn a trip to the Midsummer Classic.
Marlins 5, Phillies 0
Tom Koehler pitched six scoreless innings, and after the Marlins beat the Phillies he went to the hospital for the arrival of his first child.
- Miami Beach mayor to ask that Venetian bridge be locked down
- Plane crashes in Taiwan, 47 trapped, feared dead
- LeBron apologizes to neighbors, sends cupcakes
- 4-day Comic Con festival kicks off in San Diego
- Jacob Turner leads Miami Marlins in tense victory over Atlanta Braves
- South Miami votes to block county over mosquito spraying in its city
- Plane crash bodies removed from war zone
- Travel to Israel slows after FAA ban
- Soccer friendly at Marlins Park will be missing James Rodriguez and possibly Radamel Falcao
- Source: Miami Marlins interest remains in Oakland reliever Jim Johnson
- Walton advances to 400 semifinals at IAAF meet
- Miami Hurricanes shifting to attack mode
- Garrett Jones comes up big for Miami Marlins in 10th inning win over Braves
- Cuban-American goalie Al Montoya hopes to ‘show off my American dream’ with Florida Panthers
- Radamel Falcao steals show during AS Monaco workout at FIU
- Source: Miami Marlins’ Giancarlo Stanton would be turned off if Steve Cishek is dealt
- Goodwill, feds investigate for possible data breach
- Many workers say binge-watching TV on their time off is a pleasurable way to keep the world at bay.
- Bal Harbour Shops’ first two-story designer boutique, Salvatore Ferragamo, opens on Friday
- Mansion at 12 Indian Creek sells for $28 million
- Florida Community Bank’s parent wants to raise at least $208.8 million in IPO
- Miami-Dade prices still climbing, but there’s pressure on sales of existing condos
- Broward home sales, prices rose in June
- Colombian coffee company Juan Valdez kicks off U.S. expansion with downtown Miami café
- Dive in to a big bowl of cold soup this summer
- Parmigiano-Reggiano earns its reign as king of cheeses
- Miami Flavors: Spotlight on Nicaraguan food, ingredients
- Fit tip: Eat more mangoes
- Carolyn Hax: Am I single and loving it or just scared?
- Dear Abby: Younger couples weigh in on how they handle money
- A cut above: Sharp knives are a home cook’s greatest tool
- Layered picnic coleslaw is a sight to behold
- Actors’ Playhouse returns to the Baby Boomer well for ‘Mid-Life 2! (The Crisis Continues)’
- 12 years in the making, “Boyhood” depicts coming-of-age like no other film
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of July 20
- ‘H2OMBRE’ brings splashy spectacle and lots of water to the Arsht Center stage
- Zany underwater music festival in Florida Keys still a hit
- Life’s not easy in the islands
- Festival sets out to put a positive spin on Overtown
- ‘Arrow,’ ‘Spartacus’ star Manu Bennett worked with WWE’s John Cena, Stone Cold Steve Austin
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Deaf educator and pioneer Robert Panara dies at 94
- Dan Borislow, magicJack inventor, dies at 52
- Dan Borislow, magicJack inventor, dies at 52
- Correction: Obit-Thomas Berger story
- Venezuelan executive, human-rights advocate Thor Halvorssen dies in South Florida
- Red Tops vocalist dies at 87
- James Garner, TV antihero of 'Maverick,' 'Rockford,' dies at 86
- Thomas Berger, 'Little Big Man' author, dead at 89