It’s a huge weekend for women in sports.
I speak of Danica Patrick commanding center stage in Sunday’s Daytona 500, after Ronda Rousey and Liz Carmouche made Saturday’s UFC 157 the first mixed-martial arts card headlined by women.
First, the fight:
What a historic watershed for the gender! To think that women have advanced so far in society that they now enjoy the very same rights as men to punch and kick each other. God bless America!
(I watched the fight, by the way, and I must say that, personally, I think UM president Donna Shalala could beat either one of those women based on the clobbering I just saw her deliver to the NCAA.)
Now, on to the race:
“Gentlemen, start your engines! And you, too, Danica!”
The Daytona 500 launches Patrick’s first full season of NASCAR Sprint Cup racing, and everyone is wondering whether she’ll live up to the hype and prove she is more than just the sex-symbol image she has invited with her suggestive, racy GoDaddy ads and revealing photo shoots.
She’ll need to start winning to make racing the first think you think of when you hear her name. Put it this way:
When somebody said to me this week, “Danica is on the pole,” I was relieved to find out they meant her position on the racetrack.
• The Dolphins have an NFL-high 55 coaches, scouts and other personnel at the pre-draft NFL Combine in Indianapolis. Miami is blanketing this thing and analyzing college players like no other team. On Saturday, I sawJeff Ireland
sprinting alongside a receiver asking him questions during the 40-yard dash.
• Can’t wait for the next episode in the Heat’s ongoing series with its biggest hated rival. I don’t mean the Knicks or Celtics or whomever the opponent in the NBA Finals might be. I meanLil Wayne
• The PGA Tour’s Florida swing starts Thursday with the Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens, with world’s No. 1 and 2 players,Rory McIlroy
, possibly paired together. I don’t wanna say they’d draw by far the biggest gallery, but the rest of the field could play nude and no one would notice.
• UM baseball was 5-0 entering Saturday’s tribute game for iconic former coachRon Fraser
that followed a celebration of his life earlier in the day. You want this season to be a fitting tribute, Canes? Get to the College World Series. And win it.
• Former FIU football coachMario Cristobal
left UM’s staff for Alabama after just a month on the job. Not sure now about Cristobal’s dream of being the Canes’ head coach someday. That bridge he just crossed seems to be smoldering. Wait. Oh! It just burst into flames.
• FAU sold naming rights to the Owls’ football stadium to GEO Group, which privately runs prisons. Even odds on the place being nicknamed Owlcatraz. Our other suggestions: Call program founderHoward Schnellenberger
“The Warden,” outfit cheerleaders in vertical stripes and replace player uniforms with county-issue orange jumpsuits.
• Panthers getting desperate as they play host to Boston on Sunday, with the truncated NHL season already more than one-third done and Florida reeling after six losses in their past seven games. The Cats called up goalie-of-the-futureJacob Markstrom
, but the problem isn’t goaltending. The problem is blowing more leads than a lazy detective.
• The West beat the East in the NBA All-Star Game. So little defense was played that guys are still scoring and the game ended seven days ago.
• As the Heat plays host to Cleveland on Sunday, speculation continues thatLeBron James
could opt out of his contract after next season and return to the Cavaliers. Possible solution to prevent that: Miami kidnapsKyrie Irving
. (Hey, I said it was a solution, not aneasy
• The Heat traded reserve centerDexter Pittman
to Memphis. My all-time favorite Pittman memory is that one time he almost got in a game.
• Fashion plateDwyane Wade
is coming out with a line of designer men’s socks. I love the idea of expensive socks. “Hey, those socks I can’t see because they are covered by pant legs and shoes are great!”
• Miami is one of 35 cities being consulted by the U.S. Olympic Committee to possibly bid for the 2024 Olympics. We’re as excited as we can be about something that may or may not happen in 11 years.
has become quite the sportsman. A week after being photographed skeet shooting, the president played golf with Woods. A mix-up ensued. Obama raised a shotgun and accidentally shot one of Tiger’s birdies.
brother blasted the Chicago Bulls on Twitter for their trade-deadline inactivity. Dear Bro: Look up the word “sycophant” and get a life of your own.
• Heisman winnerJohnny Manziel
is suing over the sale of “Johnny Football” T-shirts. You know what I want to start selling? “Honk If You’re Sick of Johnny Manziel” bumper stickers.
• Paralympian Oscar Pistorius shockingly faces a murder charge in the killing of his girlfriend. Noting the strong case against him, some legal analysts do not believe Pistorius’ defense has a blade to stand on.
• The annual Copa Latina amateur soccer tournament is under way in Hialeah. It is the best place in South Florida to enjoy our broad diversity, by which I mean not hear any English being spoken.
• Indiana’s Bloomington South High won a girls’ basketball game 107-2. Not sure what coachLarry Winters
teaches at the school, but guessing it isn’t sportsmanship.
• Someone told me John Huh was named PGA Tour rookie of the year. Huh? Yes. Who? Huh!
•Parting thought: Jay-Z
summer stadium tour will end in Miami in August. It’ll be quite an unusual sight. I don’t mean those two on one stage. I mean seeing Dolphins stadium full.