College football: Joe vs. Pro, Week 4
09/21/2012 12:01 AM
09/21/2012 1:02 AM
It didn’t take long for the near-impossible to happen this season. Joe went 0-7 against the spread last week. What a parlay. He’s a master at picking losers.
The Pro of this weekly feature, Lee Sterling of ParamountSports.com, struggled last week as well. He went 2-5 against the spread, hitting only on FIU and Florida State. Both Lee and Joe Goodman, The Herald’s national college football writer, were 5-3 straight-up.
Overall, The Pro is 18-6 straight-up and 9-10 against the spread. Joe is 19-5 straight-up for the season and 7-12 against the spread. This week’s picks:
Louisville at FIU
• Line: Louisville by 15.• Joe: This will be a big recruiting weekend for Louisville. Former Northwestern star Teddy Bridgewater returns to South Florida and shows off his impressive arm. Louisville 42, FIU 20.
• Pro: As soon as the Cards replaced offensive coordinator Mike Sanford last year, Bridgewater showed the nation why he was so coveted. Teddy and 19 South Florida-based Cardinals players might be distracted visiting with relatives and friends. Louisville 33, FIU 27.
Miami at Georgia Tech• Line: Ga. Tech by 14.
• Joe: So, when Miami gets slammed with sanctions, how long will it take Duke Johnson to transfer to a rival? Oh, yes. It will get worse before it gets better, Canes fans. Georgia Tech 35, Miami 17.
• Pro: Canes sport 17 freshmen and sophomores in their two-deep depth chart. Undersized and inexperienced front seven for Miami isn’t a good matchup versus Tech’s run-based option offense. Miami’s ‘D’ at this point doesn’t match up well versus anyone with talent. Georgia Tech 41, Miami 24.
Clemson at Florida State• Line: FSU by 14.
• Joe: Gotta love the Dabo vs. Jimbo rivalry. Vegas apparently thinks Clemson is a pretender. I’m not too sure FSU is a touch overrated. FSU 28, Clemson 24.
• Pro: The shoe is on the other foot this year. FSU’s hard-charging defensive line manhandles Clemson offensive line that has three new starters. Home team has won five straight and Noles show public they are for real and a possible National Championship contender. Florida State 41, Clemson 20.
South Florida at Ball State• Line: USF by 10.
• Joe: I watched USF last week and I’ve already seen enough. Sorry to say this, but B.J. Daniels hasn’t improved much since his sophomore season. USF 31, Ball State 28.
• Pro: When the pressure is on the Bulls fold up like a pop tent. No pressure here. Everyone loves to visit Muncie, Ind., where home team is just 2-8 as a home dog. USF 34, Ball State 20.
Kentucky at Florida• Line: Florida by 24.
• Joe: First impression after watching Jeff Driskel grow up last week in Knoxville, Tenn.: He’s more Cam Newton than Tim Tebow. Meanwhile, Kentucky has gone off the rails. Florida 35, Kentucky 10.
• Pro: Gator ‘D’ eventually figured out Vol’s QB Tyler Bray. Figuring out the soon-to-be-benched Kentucky QB Maxwell Smith, who threw 4 interceptions last week versus Western Kentucky, won’t be nearly as difficult. Florida 45, Kentucky 13.
Florida Atlantic at Alabama• Line: Alabama by 49.5.
• Joe: FAU is SEC fodder for the second straight week. This spread is laughable. Alabama 50, FAU 0.
• Pro: Nick Saban could score 100 points if he wanted to run up the score. FAU probably has more talent playing fraternity flag football than this forgettable cast. Alabama 61, FAU 6.
Michigan at Notre Dame
Line: Notre Dame by 6.• Joe: The Irish are 3-0 for the first time in a decade. No miracles this time for Denard Robinson. Notre Dame 21, Michigan 20.
• Pro: Robinson has led offense to 947 total yards vs the Fighing Irish the last two years. Why not make it three years in a row where the underdog has 24 covers in the last 28 in the series. Michigan 28, Notre Dame 27.
Kansas State at Oklahoma• Line: Oklahoma by 14.
• Joe: Calling for the upset here. Landry Jones’ lack of confidence will be the undoing of Oklahoma in the fourth quarter. Kansas State 36, Oklahoma 34.
• Pro: Wildcats are a much more mature and deeper team than last year. Head coach Bill Snyder’s favorite role as a road underdog has led to a 14-5 record away from Manhattan, Kan. Sooner QB Landry Jones stock is dropping weekly. Oklahoma 34, Kansas State 28.
Joe vs. The Pro is a weekly college football feature that analyzes games and predicts the outcome against the spread. Sterling, a nationally respected numbers man, has been analyzing spreads for more than 20 years. Joe analyzes spreads in less than 20 seconds.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.