Fatal dog attack
08/22/2014 5:21 PM
08/22/2014 5:38 PM
I’m a veterinarian and here’s my take on the pit bull tragedy in Miami-Dade:
1) The sad case of a child killed by a dog or dogs is the responsibility of the family, not the animals.
2) The owner has shown poor judgment, never mind disregard for common sense or following the law.
3) I can’t think of how it is going to be determined which dog participated in the brutal attack, but the pit bull, whether guilty or not, was the first one to be sacrificed. Talk about killing based on racial profiling!
4) The veterinary community is, and has been for many years, against the pit bull ban. We support a law against aggressive dogs, but not a law against a particular breed. To our shame, Miami-Dade, as far as I know, is the only county in the USA with such an unfair law.
5) In the recent attack case, it should be taken into consideration that there was a female dog with puppies, which is known for making the bitch overly protective and aggressive against strangers.
Sergio E. Vega, Miami
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.