Monday morning we awoke to find articles in the Miami Herald and the New York Times about the opening of the Patricia and Phillip Frost Museum of Science. Both articles highlighted some of the out-of-this-world exhibits featured at the museum.
Neither article, however, made any mention of the history of this Miami attraction.
In contrast to the “architectural showpiece on Biscayne Bay,” it all began in a small house on Biscayne Boulevard and 26th Street, and it was founded by a group of women with a vision, a little seed money, and a lot of volunteers: the Junior League of Miami.
The project first opened in 1950, and until 1959, when the League turned it over to its own governing board, the museum was run by the Junior League. Back then, it was known as the Junior Museum of Science, and included a bee hive in the chimney and a goat on the lawn.
Never miss a local story.
It quickly outgrew its first home and then its second.
In 1960, the museum moved to its previous location on the Vizcaya complex on South Miami Avenue, and the Junior League continued to support the project with volunteers and financial assistance throughout the 1960s.
The Frost Museum of Science will now open its doors to thousands of curious children and adults, thirsting to learn about science in a fun and interactive environment.
While the Junior League of Miami never could have envisioned that its project, which all began in a house, would one day grow into one of the finest science museums in the country, we knew such an attraction was a necessity in Miami and we had the vision to get it started.
We wish the Frost Museum of Science a spectacular opening day, and many, many years of enriching the lives of the Miami community and beyond.
Amanda Altman Kessler, President,
Helen Picard, President-elect,
Junior League of Miami