No charges in FSU football sex assault case
12/05/2013 2:13 PM
12/05/2013 10:14 PM
A prosecutor says a top college football player will not be charged in a sexual assault case.
State Attorney Willie Meggs made the announcement Thursday regarding allegations against Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston.
The 19-year-old Heisman Trophy candidate was accused of raping a female student in December last year, but Meggs says there is not enough evidence for anyone to be charged in the case.
The Tallahassee Police Department turned the case over to Meggs on Nov. 12 after several media inquiries. Meggs interviewed the accuser Nov. 21.
The prosecutor says Winston's DNA matched a sample found in the woman's underwear. But Winston's lawyer, Tim Jansen, has said that was expected and doesn't prove guilt.
The top-ranked and undefeated Seminoles are playing Duke on Saturday in the Atlantic Coast Conference championship game. A win would likely put them in the college football championship game.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.