Republican Bruce Rauner's proposal to dump a temporary state income tax increase would cost public schools $4 billion a year and lead to 28,000 teacher layoffs, the rival campaign for Illinois governor said Wednesday.
A look at the domestic legal justifications the U.S. has used for military action around the world:
Democratic U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor on Wednesday defended his campaign's TV ad invoking the Ebola outbreak to criticize his Republican challenger, saying it addresses a serious issue and he doesn't view it as a scare tactic.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has visited Spartak Moscow's new stadium, a 2018 World Cup venue, ahead of its official opening.
The federal government is protecting 20 types of colorful coral by putting them on the list of threatened species, partly because of climate change.
One year ago, President Barack Obama was barreling toward airstrikes in Syria when he abruptly announced that he first wanted approval from congressional lawmakers. The move threw his policy into confusion and the strikes were eventually scrapped.
Democratic Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and Republican businessman Tom Foley officially kicked off their gubernatorial rematch with a feisty debate on Wednesday night, clashing over guns and who is best equipped to grow jobs and improve Connecticut's economy.
NASA says its new giant rocket system passed an internal milestone Wednesday, but the first test launch got pushed back a year to 2018.
A conservative super PAC was forced Wednesday to edit a negative ad against Sen. Jeanne Shaheen after the New Hampshire Democrat's attorneys flagged inaccuracies in the spot with the broadcaster.
With time running out in an underachieving campaign for Texas governor, Democrat Wendy Davis is brandishing a darker and tougher edge in an aggressive courtship of female voters who are essential to her chances of pulling an upset in November.
- Thomas Wyroba, beloved teacher at Miamis New World School of the Arts, dies at 64
- Gov. Rick Scott, in Miami, rips federal education standards that punish diversity
- Pembroke Pines police bust Miami Fire Lt. in online sex sting
- Teachers union, school board association to challenge school voucher program
- Florida Supreme Court asked to rule on gay marriage
- Migrant crisis: Group asks feds for equal rights for Haitians
- Former Miami Dade College art teacher, artist Bob Huff dies at 69
- Mistrial declared for Medley man accused of killing 423-pound man
- Wild-card chances diminish as Miami Marlins fall to Angels
- Daniel Thomas battling to keep job with Miami Dolphins
- Sunset stuns South Miami in football season-opener
- Miami Heat signs veteran shooting guard Shannon Brown
- Ex-Canes star Lamar Thomas to coach against alma mater when Louisville faces UM
- Miami Marlins’ Giancarlo Stanton refuses to give clues on long-term future
- Florida State Seminoles will schedule walk-through at AT&T Stadium
- Nathan Eovaldi, Miami Marlins pummeled by Angels
- Melia Hotels announces spring opening for ME Miami
- Senior scams more prevalent as population ages
- Advocates for poor say Jackson Health System bars needy from charity care
- Programs protect plants and animals along path of the Panama Canal expansion
- Le Pain Quotidien scouting for four locations in Miami-Dade
- Royal Caribbean rolls out new tech for Quantum of the Seas
- Case-Shiller: Miami area home prices rose 11.5 percent in June
- Q&A with Maurice Ferré: What’s next after MAKO?
- Weekend meal recipes: Shrimp risotto, chile-chocolate brownies
- Weekday meal planner: Cubano dogs for Friday
- Carolyn Hax: One person can make a big difference standing up for another
- Farm fresh: A guide to South Florida farmers markets
- Plum salsa puts grilled pork tenderloin over the top
- Oatmeal epiphanies: Gluten-free and pod-ready
- Pro tip: Indent your burgers for even Labor Day grilling
- Exercise-induced asthma can develop suddenly, but can be managed with a pulmonologist
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of Friday
- Robin Williams 10 Best Movies
- Preserving America’s seafood heritage
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 11
- Three women struggle after deployment in Helen Thorpe’s compelling ‘Soldier Girls’
- ‘Shorts Gone Wild 2’ finds laughs and deeper moments in brief LGBT-themed plays
- Celebrity birthdays on Aug 10
- Culture Shock Miami brings cheap tickets and love of the arts to youth
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- William Greaves, TV host and filmmaker, dead at 87
- Pioneering Egyptian civil rights lawyer dies at 63
- Bulgarian poet Valeri Petrov dies
- Longtime Tennessee civil rights lawyer dies at 86
- Peruvian journalist Zileri dead at 83
- Correction: Obit-Sperling story
- Correction: Britain-Obit-Richard Attenborough
- Oglala Sioux leader Gerald One Feather dies