The Senate is set to take up legislation to keep federal highway money flowing to states, with just three days left before the government plans to start slowing down payments.
Despite some good news, Medicare and Social Security still face long-term financial problems as millions of baby boomers reach retirement. Social Security's disability program is already in crisis as it edges toward the brink of insolvency.
Democratic and Republican members of Congress are scrambling to seal a $225 million boost to Israel's Iron Dome missile defense system before they break this week for a month-long recess.
A $1,000-per-pill drug that insurers are reluctant to pay for has quickly become the treatment of choice for a liver-wasting viral disease that affects more than 3 million Americans.
In the whitest U.S. state, thousands of miles from the Mexican border, the debate over immigration is quickly becoming a central issue in one of the nation's most closely watched governor's races.
More than 35 percent of Americans have debts and unpaid bills that have been reported to collection agencies, according to a study released Tuesday by the Urban Institute.
Attorney General Tom Horne came under repeated attack over his many legal issues during a combative debate with his Republican primary opponent Monday night as they sparred on topics such as ethics, integrity and legal qualifications to be the state's chief law enforcement officer.
Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany took a non-committal stance on an effort by five Pennsylvania Congressmen to rescind sanctions against Penn State for its handling of the Jerry Sandusky sexual abuse scandal.
In an escalation of tensions, the Obama administration accused Russia on Monday of conducting tests in violation of a 1987 nuclear missile treaty, calling the breach "a very serious matter" and going public with allegations that have simmered for some time.
Former San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro has been sworn in as head of the Department of Housing and Urban Development. The official ceremony makes Castro one of the highest-ranking Hispanics in the government.
- Georgia girl struck by plane on Florida beach dies
- Miami home price rose 13.2 percent in May, S&P/Case-Shiller reports
- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Shelling adds to mounting civilian toll in Ukraine
- Vets, teens transplant corals in Florida Keys
- 2 dead in head-on crash west of Miccosukee casino
- Obama mulls large-scale move on immigration
- Fighting in Ukraine prompts residents to flee
- Miami Marlins’ stunning rally in ninth tops Nationals
- Popular artificial reef and live bait spot Bug Light demolished
- UM QB Jake Heaps: ‘I didn’t come here to be a backup’
- Miami Dolphins rookie wide receiver Jarvis Landry catching on real fast
- Mike Hill: Miami Marlins won’t be sellers
- Resurgent Miami Marlins cap 6-1 road trip with three-game sweep of Houston Astros
- Miami Dolphins running back Lamar Miller hopes to thrive in Bill Lazors new offense
- Continued surge could put Miami Marlins in buy mode for a starting pitcher
- Consumers asked to verify income, other information — or risk losing government subsidies for health insurance
- With new ships, Norwegian second-quarter earnings improve
- Bonjour Television Network will offer four channels for French-speaking viewers in the United States
- Latest designer condo: FENDI Château Residences
- Study: Miami’s economic recovery ranks No. 18 in U.S.
- Equinox acquiring Sports Club/LA, including club on Miami’s Brickell Avenue
- AT&T activates 7 more South Florida cell sites
- Apollo Bank receives final approvals to acquire First Bank of Miami
- Wake up your slacking muscles
- Carolyn Hax: Whether the host or the guest, parent can’t relax
- Dear Abby: Son’s clumsiness may have a physical cause
- Fit tip: Do compression sleeves work?
- Candy-bar ‘bites’ take a bite out of wallets
- Ana Veciana-Suarez: How much sleep do I really need? Or, 7 is the new 8
- Pile this orzo pilaf onto your plate
- Jock Doc: New advances in hip-replacement surgery can help in the long term
- A branch of O Cinema may be coming to North Beach
- Comic-Con 2014: Hollywood stirs fan fervor
- Screen gems: What’s ahead in movies and on TV for the week of July 27
- Tales of worldy travels take ghostly turn
- Naturalist’s book gives hope for wildlife preservation
- An A-to-Z guide to Miami Spice 2014
- ‘Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy’ brings a United Nations of talent to the Broward Center stage
- Actors’ Playhouse returns to the Baby Boomer well for ‘Mid-Life 2! (The Crisis Continues)’
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Former Seattle Mayor Paul Schell dies
- 'Up the Down Staircase' writer Kaufman dies at 103
- Charter bus entrepreneur, educator Veronica Timpson dies at 64
- Bill Thompson co-starred on 'Wallace and Ladmo'
- Venezuelan executive, human-rights advocate Thor Halvorssen dies in South Florida
- From bank security guard to vice president, Edward Duffie Sr. dies at 77
- Deaf educator and pioneer Robert Panara dies at 94
- Dan Borislow, magicJack inventor, dies at 52