Miami Lakes council member Nelson Hernandez seeks arrested mayor Michael Pizzi’s post
08/11/2013 7:16 PM
08/13/2013 4:26 PM
Miami Lakes Town Council member Nelson Hernandez plans to run for mayor of the northwest Miami-Dade town in the special election to replace Michael Pizzi, who was arrested by the FBI last week on corruption charges.
Hernandez said Sunday that he intends to resign from his council office Monday morning in order to qualify for the special election. Acting Mayor Ceasar Mestre, who had said he planned to seek the seat, changed his mind over the weekend.
Dave Bennett and former Mayor Wayne Slaton have also filed to run.
At a special meeting Tuesday, the Town Council is expected to schedule the election for Oct. 1.
“It really puts a black eye on the town,” Hernandez told the Miami Herald on Sunday of Pizzi’s downfall. “Cleaning up Miami Lakes is going to be one of my priorities.”
Gov. Rick Scott suspended Pizzi and Sweetwater Mayor Manny Maroño last Tuesday after both were charged with accepting cash kickbacks as part of a federal-grant scheme in an undercover FBI operation. Two lobbyists, Jorge Forte and Richard Candia, were also arrested.
Pizzi declared his innocence Saturday in a statement to the Herald and El Nuevo Herald, saying he would fight the charges in court and return to the mayor’s office.
In the meantime, the town charter requires that a special election take place within 90 days because there were more than six months left in Pizzi’s four-year term. He was reelected last year.
Mestre, the acting mayor, sent a text message Sunday to Town Council members telling them he no longer intended to run for the office.
“Due to my need to provide financial stability to my family, this is not the right time for me to run for mayor,” Mestre said in the text message. He wished good luck to any of his colleagues planning to run and reminded them that they have until 10 a.m. Monday to turn in their resignations.
“I am not going to let my ego put my family in jeopardy,” Mestre said in an interview with the Herald on Sunday. He has not decided whom to endorse in the upcoming race.
Hernandez, a Republican, said he would be endorsed by two council members who are sitting out the nonpartisan mayoral contest. One, according to Hernandez, is council member Tim Dalbert. Though Hernandez said he also has the support of Vice Mayor Manny Cid, Cid told the Herald he did not plan to endorse anyone until the candidate qualifying period is over.
Hernandez said he has also received the support of state Sen. René García and state Reps. Manny Diaz Jr. and Jose Oliva, all Hialeah Republicans.
Hernandez, who was first elected in 2010, said he would run on a platform to improve Miami Lakes’ quality of life by following through on plans to address flooding on the town’s west side and to revitalize the town’s main street. He also wants Miami Lakes to explore ways to eliminate property taxes for residents, a long-shot idea he proposed earlier this year that was shelved because it is probably not feasible.
“The town is in dire need of leadership,” he said. “I bring new ideas and a fresh vision.”
A previous version of this article incorrectly stated that Hernandez was the first announced mayoral candidate.
Editor's Choice Videos
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.