Homestead City Hall may be contaminated

09/09/2012 12:00 AM

09/08/2012 12:22 PM

A recent environmental report found that Homestead City Hall is contaminated with radon, a radioactive, cancer-causing gas. The building is also full of mold, according to the report.

The discovery has prompted talk of reviving plans to build a new city hall, which were scrapped in 2009 because of concern over the $20 million price tag.

But Homestead Mayor Steve Bateman still doesn’t think the city should spend money on a new building.

His solution: “You could open a window and clear radon in 24 hours. ... Get some cross ventilation in there.”

Problem is, most of the windows in Homestead City Hall don’t open.

As for the mold: “You’ll kill mold with one swipe of bleach,” he said. “Boom.”

He also suggested air purifiers and installing an ultraviolet light in the city’s air conditioning systems.

Join the Discussion

Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service