A lawyer for one of the last prisoners from Kuwait heldat Guantánamo Bay has told a government review panel that his client will be closely monitored if returned to his homeland.
Attorney Eric Lewis says Kuwait has agreed to keep Fawzi al Odah, 37, in a rehabilitation center for at least a year.
Al Odah would also surrender his passport and check in weekly with police after his release from rehabilitation.
The prisoner has been at the U.S. base in Cuba on suspicion of involvement with terrorism since February 2002. He has not been charged with a crime. He appeared Wednesday before a board reviewing whether the U.S. can transfer certain prisoners previously deemed too dangerous to release.
The board is to review the case of the other Kuwaiti prisoner, Fayez al Kandari, 37, next week.
The lawyer, appearing with his client at Guantánamo, addressed the members of the Periodic Review Board in Washington by video link. His statement was published on a Pentagon website.
Al-Odah has been held at the U.S. base in Cuba on suspicion of involvement with terrorism since February 2002. He has not been charged. His lawyer said the 37-year-old poses no threat to the U.S. and would seek to start a family and work in his father's plumbing supply business if allowed to return to his homeland.
At one point, the U.S. held a dozen prisoners from Kuwait at Guantánamo The military said that a Kuwaiti who was released in 2005 carried out a suicide bomb attack in Iraq in April 2008.
The Periodic Review Board is reviewing the cases of dozens of prisoners who authorities previously determined could not be charged but were too dangerous for release or transfer. The U.S. holds 149 men at Guantánamo.