Miami-Dade Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho has collected a lot of awards over the last year, gaining national name-recognition that makes him an attractive candidate for jobs elsewhere.
Though Carvalho insisted he isn’t going anywhere, the Miami-Dade School Board on Wednesday nevertheless agreed to reopen his contract with the intention of awarding him a new and bigger salary.
“He is underpaid as compared to what I’ve seen in other school districts,” said board member Susie Castillo. “He does put in 24 hours a day, seven days a week.”
Board Chair Perla Tabares Hantman asked for permission to negotiate with Carvalho shortly after his name was recently floated as a candidate to lead the Los Angeles Unified school district, the second-largest in the country.
Never miss a local story.
Carvalho told the board that he intends to stay in Miami-Dade at least through the end of his contract, which runs until 2020.
“There is no amount of money that L.A. could pay to take me to California. Miami is Miami, and it’s the new face of America,” he said. “It’s my absolute intention to remain superintendent of Miami-Dade.”
Carvalho’s base salary is $318,000, according to his contract. He has said he wants to continue to make less money than his predecessor, who made $345,000. Carvalho also has made a bold promise: to donate his salary back to the school district during his last year of service.