The North Miami Beach city council on April 5 unanimously voted to use the vacant portion of the first floor of the Grand Isle building as an early-education daycare center.
Vice Mayor Beth Spiegel questioned the center’s closing time. Originally, it was slated to close at 9 p.m., but after council discussion, the time was changed to 7:30 p.m.
About 90 children will be able to be enroll in the center, which will have 19 parking spaces at the mixed-use complex, 1550 NE 168 St.
A new daycare center is needed to serve children who live in multifamily residences in the surrounding area, said Kimberly Marcellus, assistant planner of community development at North Miami Beach, at the meeting.
Never miss a local story.
▪ A resolution to authorize Florida Municipal Marketing for corporate sponsorship, advertising and related consulting services passed with a vote of 6-1. Spiegel voting against it. The resolution also authorizes the city manager to sign an agreement for the amount of about $29,000 in annual compensation including incentives.
▪ The council discussed an ordinance amending the city code regarding abandoned property. The ordinance would require abandoned or foreclosed property to be registered and maintained in good condition to prevent squatters and neighborhood blight. The ordinance was passed on its first reading 6-1, with Speigel voting against it.
The registration program will benefit North Miami Beach by identifying and monitoring property concerns, increasing property compliance and restoring lost revenue, Deputy City Manager Candido Sosa-Cruz said.
▪ The council unimously passed a resolution to enter an interlocal agreement with the city of Sunny Isles Beach to replace seven water main roadway crossings and to reimburse Sunny Isles Beach 75 percent of the costs.
▪ The council unanimously rejected a request to send a member of the Commission on the Status of Women to a conference in Hawaii.
▪ Police Sgt. Mohammad Asim was promoted to captain and sworn in.
The next council meeting will be 7:30 p.m. April 19, 2016.