A week after being disciplined for alleged misconduct, the director of North Miami’s Museum of Contemporary Art met with city leaders to respond to a complaint by an employee.
Babacar M’Bow, who was in Colombia last week, returned to North Miami City Hall Wednesday to meet with the city’s personnel department about the Dec. 10 complaint. An employee alleged misconduct, and M’Bow has remained on paid leave and is banned from city events and the museum.
No resolution was announced after the meeting, according to Interim City Manager Arthur Sorey. Natasha Colebrook-Williams, the city’s chief of staff, will continue to serve as the interim museum director.
“[M’Bow] gave his comments on the allegations and now we’ll go back and wrap up the investigation and make a determination,” Sorey said.
Sorey said the city’s personnel director had already interviewed witnesses and the employee who filed the complaint.
Earlier this week, the city also chose not to continue employment of Adrienne von Lates, the museum’s assistant director for education. She was near the end of a one-year probationary period.
The museum’s assistant director, Alan Waufle, was given a three-day suspension after a separate complaint alleging misconduct and that Waufle used “inappropriate gender language.” That suspension ended Dec. 18.
M’Bow was appointed director of the museum in April 2014 after a highly public split between the city and its former board of trustees. Currently the museum is hosting an exhibit curated by Colombian painter Carlos Salas, “Latin America and the Global Imagination.”