A 9-year-old boy was in critical condition after losing part of his hand in a fireworks accident Friday in Opa-locka.
Officials say the boy was holding a firework while his 15-year-old cousin lit it. The short fuse burned, and the explosion seriously injured both children. Both were airlifted to Jackson Memorial Hospital.
The incident occurred at an apartment complex in the 2300 block of Atlantic Avenue.
As of Saturday afternoon, both boys were still in the hospital. The 9-year-old was critical but recovering, and the 15-year-old was doing better, according to Interim City Manager David Chiverton. He said the names are not being released because they are minors.
Never miss a local story.
Chiverton said despite regular reminders during the holidays to be extra careful with fireworks, these accidents still happen.
“It’s always a tragedy when these things happen,” he said. “We warn families and parents about monitoring and being vigilant.”