A brand new, 11,000 square-foot home for the South Beach Boys & Girls Club recently debuted, just in time for summer programs.
The $2 million facility held a grand opening May 5 at its new location at 1200 Michigan Ave. The facility includes a community room, game room, cafeteria with a teaching kitchen and a teen center. The club serves about 450 local children.
The previous 2,500 square-foot club was demolished in September 2011 to make way for the new facility.
Major donors for the South Beach Club were Bank of America, city of Miami Beach, Fisher Island Philanthropic Fund, Miami-Dade County, Mary Ann Portell, Richard H. Simmons Charitable Trust, and Betsy & George M. Sherman.