Two dead in ATV crash in Brownsville

08/16/2012 5:00 AM

08/16/2012 6:24 PM

There was nothing more that Marquan Tyson liked to do than ride the streets on his all-terrain vehicle.

The 24-year-old graduate of Northwestern High frequently took the ATV out with friends, and on Wednesday, he and Lazaro Diaz were out for a ride in Brownsville.

The trip ended in tragedy.

They were heading north on Northwest 31st Avenue at 7:30 p.m. when they ran through two stop signs and hit a Toyota Camry that was traveling west on 52nd Street, Miami-Dade police said.

Tyson died right after the crash, and Diaz, who was riding on the back of the off-road vehicle, was taken to Ryder Trauma Center at Jackson Memorial Hospital where he died a short time later.

One passenger in the Camry was also taken to Jackson and was in stable condition on Thursday.

Miami-Dade police spokesman Roy Rutland said it’s illegal to drive ATVs on city streets but said officers are “certainly seeing them more and more” barreling down asphalt.

Tyson was part of the trend, said his best friend from high school, Daniel Taylor. “He used to ride them all the time,” Taylor said. “That’s what a lot of younger black men do.”

Taylor and Tyson were on the drum line together in the marching band at Northwestern, where Tyson graduated in 2006. Taylor described his friend as “the crazy one,” who “never followed the rules,” but always made his classmates laugh with his clumsy antics.

Even with his good-natured rambunctiousness, Tyson displayed an uncommon dedication to and curiosity about music, said Roger Umana, who was the band director at Northwestern when Tyson was a freshman.

“He was one of those kids who represent what music and art sets out to do. It kept him off the streets, taught him discipline, helped him grow. He had a lot of potential and it hurts to know that he’s gone,” Umana said. “I look at them as my children, and it always hurts to bury one of your kids.”

Diaz, who was also into music and building sound systems, was the oldest of three children and lived in Opa-locka. His mother Sandra Acevedo told Channel 7 he was “a very active boy, always on the street with his friends.”

The family has decided to donate his organs, so that at least part of him will live on and give others a new life.

Join the Discussion

Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Terms of Service