An elderly couple and their son and his family escaped unscathed from a fire in their Coral Gables home early Monday morning, authorities said.
“There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the working smoke detector saved everyone’s life,” Coral Gables Fire Chief Robert Lowman said.
Coral Gables fire department crews responded at 4 a.m. Monday and quickly extinguished the fire in the two-story home at 42 Montilla Ave. The home dates to 1928 and is located just west of Douglas Road, a few blocks north of Southwest Eighth Street.
Fire officials said a smoke detector alerted the elderly couple, who were sleeping on the second floor. The couple’s son, his wife and toddler child, sleeping on the first floor, also escaped. Firefighters found extensive damage on the home’s second floor.
Never miss a local story.
Follow @kathdevaney on Twitter.