Two Miami-Dade firefighters suffered minor burns while extinguishing a blaze that likely began when a pan of fried fish was left on the stove in a Southwest Miami-Dade home on Wednesday.
A call came in to 911 at about 5:20 p.m. to report a fire in a two-story single-family home at 8945 SW 100th St.
Miami-Dade police officers, who arrived first, helped the two elderly residents out of the home.
When firefighters arrived, they rescued two dogs from the garage, said Miami-Dade Fire Lt. Arnold Piedrahita Jr.
Never miss a local story.
Piedrahita said firefighters were greeted with heavy smoke and flames. The fire likely began in the kitchen with a pan that was left unattended, Piedrahita said. The house was left uninhabitable.
The two residents were treated at the scene. Two firefighters were taken to Kendall Regional Hospital because they suffered burns through their gear.
The firefighters were expected to recover, Piedrahita said.