Miami-Dade’s housing chief leaving for New Orleans
07/02/2014 5:30 PM
07/02/2014 6:34 PM
Miami-Dade County’s housing director is leaving after five years on the job.
Gregg Fortner, director of the county’s Public Housing and Community Development department, resigned to take the top housing job in New Orleans. He starts Monday.
Fortner took over in Miami shortly after the housing agency emerged from federal control following a scandal over development contracts detailed in the Miami Herald’s “House of Lies” series. The agency is handing out about $40 million in affordable-housing grants, money sought by developers who are often big campaign contributors.
“The advice I would give to my successor is to be a housing professional, and make sure you don’t let politics manage you,” said Fortner, 56.
The New Orleans native earned $200,000 last year, according to county records. Mike Hernandez, a spokesman for county Mayor Carlos Gimenez, said no decision has been made on a replacement.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.