Ongoing construction and the opening of a new ramp on South Florida roadways may cause some traffic headaches for commuters through the rest of the week. Drivers are being asked to pay close attention and follow flashing message boards and fluorescent signs for information.
Here’s a look at some South Florida construction projects that may affect drivers:
Miami-Dade: Drivers are encouraged to call 511 or log on to http://www.fl511.com to get real-time traffic and lane-closure information.
• On Wednesday morning, a new access road opened from westbound State Road 836 (Dolphin Expressway) to southbound SR 826 (Palmetto) after Northwest 57th Avenue.
The new ramp gives drivers another option to exit SR 836, said Oscar Gonzalez, spokesman for the project.
Earlier this month, the Florida Department of Transportation opened the new Palmetto and State Road 836 interchange, meant to give drivers in both directions on State Road 836 more direct access to the southbound Palmetto as well as West Flagler and Southwest Eighth streets.
For more information on the project, visit the 826/836 website.
• A stretch of southbound I-95 will be shut down late Thursday night into Friday morning to install signage for the PortMiami tunnel project. All southbound lanes on I-95 will be closed off near the 195 and State Road 112 (Airport Expressway) ramps from 1-5 a.m. Friday morning and Feb. 4. Lane closures will begin at 10 p.m. Thursday and Feb. 3. Southbound drivers on I-95 will be detoured through I-195 eastbound Miami Beach and SR-112 westbound Airport ramp. Signs will be in place to detour drivers. More information about the PortMiami tunnel project is available atwww.portofmiamitunnel.com
• Drivers will not be able to exit to southbound I-95 from eastbound SR 826 (Palmetto) from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. through Thursday. Drivers heading south will continue to State Road 7/US 441 then on to Northwest 135th Street east before heading back to the southbound I-95 on-ramp.
• The southbound exit ramp from Florida’s Turnpike to I-95 will be closed and traffic will be detoured nightly from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., through Thursday. Drivers will exit at US 441 to Northwest 135 Street east to the southbound ramp.
Broward: Ongoing work on Interstate 595 express lanes will result in several lane closures and detours.
• All lanes of eastbound I-595 between Interstate 75 and 136th Avenue will be closed from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. Wednesday. Motorists will be directed to exit southbound I-75 at Indian Trace, travel east on State Road 84, then enter I-595 from 136th Avenue.
• The ramp from southbound I-75 to eastbound I-595 will be closed nightly from 10 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. through Friday. Motorists will be directed to exit southbound I-75 at Indian Trace and travel east on SR 84 to enter I-595.
• All lanes from westbound I-595 between US 441 and Davie Road will be closed from midnight to 5 a.m. Friday. Motorists will be directed to exit SR 84/ SR 7/US 441 (exit 8A), travel west on SR 84, and then enter westbound I-595 from Davie Road.
• All southbound lanes at Sunrise Boulevard will be closed nightly from midnight to 5 a.m. through Wednesday. Motorists will be directed to exit at Sunrise Boulevard (exit 58), travel east on Sunrise Boulevard to SR 7/US 441, and continue south to the southbound entrance ramp for the turnpike.