1. At least three whales have died after becoming stranded in shallow waters off Lee County. More than two dozen other whales were swimming nearby. Another two dozen whales were being monitored in the waters off Collier County.
2. Education Commissioner Pam Stewart is expected to present the recommended changes to Common Core academic standards Tuesday at the board's meeting in Miami. The Department of Education has developed a list of recommendations based on comments from parents and teachers statewide. The benchmarks for learning in language arts and math were adopted by Florida and more than 40 other states.
3. Now that the circus has left town, the Heat is coming home to AmericanAirlines Arena Tuesday night to face the Boston Celtics. The game, which Dwyane Wade might miss because of knee soreness, will be shown on SUN at 7:30 p.m.
4. Frustrated with the inability to complete what should be rather simple tasks on Brickell Avenue — such as lowering the speed limit and culling overgrown brush and trees — Miami has negotiated a deal to take control of the street from the state of Florida. A hearing is set for Tuesday evening on the issue.
Never miss a local story.
5. Get ready for more cold weather in South Florida. A front is moving through and will drop temperatures into the 50s on Tuesday night and into the 30s and 40s on Wednesday night and Thursday morning.