1. The Miami-Dade County Commission will take a vote Thursday on county labor issue. Eleven bargaining units are at an impasse with Mayor Carlos Gimenez’s administration over an unpopular healthcare contribution the mayor wants to continue.
2. Florida Insurance Commissioner Kevin McCarty says homeowner rates in the state are coming down. McCarty gave a report to Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater that looked at annual rate filings made by 30 of the state's insurance companies. The report found several companies that represent 20 percent of the market have either decreased rates or asked regulators to allow them to be lowered.
3. The Miami Heat and Miami-Dade County are negotiating a 10-year extension of the deal that lets the team play at AmericanAirlines Arena and receive about $6.5 million a year in hotel taxes to subsidize operations.
4. Miami Beach, with a new mandate by a new mayor, has called off the proposed $1 billion redevelopment of its convention center district, upending a years-long process that garnered international attention, star architects and an ambitious plan to transform the decades-old center and surrounding neighborhood with a hotel, shops and restaurants.
Never miss a local story.
5. Ready for the cold? Temperatures in South Florida will remain the 60s Thursday before plunging into the 30s and 40s overnight. A freeze watch is in effect for several counties, including parts of Broward and Palm Beach.