Miami’s Top 5: What you should know Wednesday
10/23/2013 9:29 AM
10/23/2013 10:04 AM
1. Broward County and Palm Beach’s unemployment rates are dropping faster than it is in any other major metropolitan area, according to a new federal report.
2. Florida state senators are holding the first of four public hearings about the future of gambling in the Sunshine State. Some 60 people have already signed up to testify Wednesday during a meeting that will be held on the north campus of Broward College. The Senate Gaming Committee will also hold hearings in Lakeland, Jacksonville and Pensacola.
3. The Miami Heat play at the New Orleans Pelicans in another preseason tuneup. Watch the game at 8 p.m. on Sun Sports.
4. Early voting continues in Miami-Dade for a Nov. 5 special election on Jackson Health System upgrades and municipal elections in Miami, Miami Beach, Hialeah and Homestead.
5. Rain chance is 60 percent on Wednesday, and heavy storms have already rolled through the region. The forecast calls for highs around 90.
Oops, you haven't selected any newsletters. Please check the box next to one or more of our email newsletters and submit again.
Oops, you didn't provide a valid email address. Please double-check the email field and submit again.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.