Miami’s Top 5: What you should know Monday
08/19/2013 7:15 AM
08/19/2013 7:21 AM
1. It’s back to school in Miami-Dade and Broward. The counties are expecting 607,000 students, combined. Be mindful that school speed zones are in effect.
2. There’s a high of 90 today, but relief from the heat may come in the form of some thunderstorms throughout the day. The rest of the week is shaping up to look the same.
3. A toddler who died from abuse at the hands of her mother earlier this year was previously found to be safe by the DCF, despite multiple calls from an abuse hotline about the child. The mother had also signed two “safety plans” in the past, promising not to use excessive corporal punishment.
4. Jorge Forte, Sweetwater Mayor Manny Maroño’s longtime friend and business partner, was not shy about being the mayor’s right hand man. Forte leveraged the relationship to push through city legislation, get government contracts — and haul in tens of thousands of dollars in bribes from undercover FBI agents, prosecutors alleged last week.
5. More than 500 people attended a casting call in Gulfstream Park on Sunday for the game show, The Price Is Right. This was the show’s first casting call in South Florida. The potential contestants said they are supposed to hear from the show in about six weeks to find out if they’ve been chosen for one of the two spots.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.