The Education Fund will honor 25 high-achieving Miami-Dade public school alumni Wednesday evening, including Miami Herald reporter Carol Marbin Miller.
The Sapoznik Insurance Public School Alumni Achievement Awards will be awarded at the annual For the Love of Art Annual Charity Auction.
Marbin Miller, a senior investigative reporter at the Herald, uses her reporting to shine a light on the most vulnerable people: the elderly, those with disabilities and children in foster care.
She and former Herald reporter Audra Burch won a bevy of award for their series, Innocents Lost, a year-long project that chronicled how almost 500 children died of abuse or neglect in families who had a history with the Florida Department of Children & Families, the state agency assigned to protect children.
Marbin Miller teamed up with other Herald reporters to uncover horrific abuse and neglect in the state’s assisted living facilities in the Neglected to Death series.
The other honorees include:
▪ Suzanne Batlle — Owner, Azucar Ice Cream
▪ Anthony Brunson — President & CEO, Anthony Brunson P.A.
▪ Marisel Caceres — Vice President, All Florida Paper
▪ Rachel Diaz — Professor, Johnson & Wales University
▪ Isabel Espinosa — Manager, Recruitment and Employee Services, Carnival Cruise Line
▪ Anne Marie Estevez — Partner, Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
▪ Rudy Fernandez — Chief of Staff to President & Vice President for Government and Community Relations, University of Miami
▪ Barbara Ronda — Chief Administrative Officer, UHealth - University of Miami, Miller School of Medicine
▪ Rene Garcia -- Senator, Florida State Senate
▪ Pamela Garrison — Registered Nurse, Jackson Memorial, Baptist, South Miami, and Doctors Hospitals
▪ Taffy Gould — Chairman & Founder, Oceania University of Medicine
▪ Gerald E. Greenberg — Founding Partner, Gelber Schachter & Greenberg, P.A.
▪ James Haj — President & CEO, The Children’s Trust
▪ Udonis Haslem — Alumni of Distinction
▪ Marco Leyte-Vidal III — Senior Regulatory Counsel, Assurant
▪ Alex Macias — Managing Partner & Chief Operating Officer, Macias Advertising
▪ Marcos Macias — President & Chief Creative Officer, Macias Advertising
▪ Nancy Mulshine — Director, IT Operations, NextEra Energy
▪ Darrell Payne — Partner, Stearns Weaver Miller Weissler Alhadeff & Sitterson, P.A.
▪ Randy Peters — Commercial Relationship Manager, Senior Vice President, BB&T
▪ Rosa Santiago — President, The Kirk Foundation
▪ Gretchen Schmidt — Editor, Edible South Florida
▪ Emilie Sobel — Social Media Manager, Social Thinkking and Blogger, Soul in Stilettos
▪ Melissa McCaughan White — Executive Director, Key Biscayne Community Foundation