A bi/lesbian comedy, Appropriate Behavior, opens Friday at Bill Cosford Cinema at University of Miami in Coral Gables and Cinema Paradiso in Fort Lauderdale. Desiree Akhavan, the film’s star-writer-director, also plays a new character on Girls, and will do Skype Q&As after the Sunday screenings.
Here’s the Cinema Paradiso news release:
Up-and-comer Desiree Akhavan has just joined the cast of HBO’s immensely popular and boundary-pushing show Girls. But she is also the multi-talented writer, director and star of the new indie comedy Appropriate Behavior, her very first feature film on the big screen. She’s been compared to Woody Allen, Larry David, and of course, Girls’ Lena Dunham, but one who mines her own Iranian-American-Bisexual identity in an of-the-moment Brooklyn hipster setting. The film begins its South Florida First Run Engagement starting Friday, January 16, at Fort Lauderdale’s Cinema Paradiso. There will also be a live video-link Q&A with filmmaker Desiree Akhavan at the 3:00 pm Sunday, January 18 screening.
In the hilarious Appropriate Behavior, Akhavan plays Shirin, who finds that being part of a perfect Persian family isn’t easy. Acceptance eludes her from all sides: her family doesn’t know she’s bisexual, and her ex-girlfriend, Maxine, can’t understand why she doesn’t tell them. Even the six-year-old boys in her moviemaking class are too A.D.D. to focus on her for more than a second. Following a family announcement of her brother’s betrothal to a parentally approved Iranian prize catch, Shirin embarks on a private rebellion involving a series of pansexual escapades, while trying to decipher what went wrong with her real love life. Akhavan is a face to watch, both behind and in front of the camera, as this assured and insightful comedy shows. IndieWire calls it a, “…sophisticated and persistently witty look at urban youth culture and arrested development.”
Tickets for all regular screenings are $10 general admission, and $8 seniors and students, and can be purchased in advance on the Cinema Paradiso website at www.paradisocinemas.com or in-person during regular screening hours at the Cinema’s box office. For more information call (954) 525-3456. Appropriate Behabior plays seven days a week for a one week engagement.
The Cinema Paradiso is located at 503 SE 6th St., in downtown Ft. Lauderdale near the Courthouse. Parking is at on-street meters, and free at adjacent Courthouse parking garage after 5 pm on weekdays and all day on weekends. Cinema Paradiso Fort Lauderale, and its sister Hollywood location, are Broward County’s only year-round non-profit art houses. They are are run by the Broward Film Society, which also produces the annual Ft. Lauderdale Film Festival. Funding for the Cinema Paradisos comes in part from Air France; the Broward County Commissioners as recommended by the Broward Cultural Council; the Community Foundation of Broward; Cowan Enterprises; the Forman Family Foundation; Greater Fort Lauderdale Convention & Visitors Bureau; the Hollywood Community Redevelopment Agency; the State of Florida, Department of State, Division of Cultural Affairs and the Florida Council on Arts and Culture; and the many other sponsors, businesses, individual donors and members who contribute to the Cinemas’ work.
If you go
▪ WHAT: South Florida First Run Enagement of Appropriate Behavior. Live video-link Q&A with star and filmmaker Desiree Akhavan at 3 p.m. Sunday screening
▪ WHEN: South Florida First Run Engagement starts Friday, January 16, with seven-day-a-week screenings
▪ WHERE: Cinema Paradiso Ft. Lauderdale, 503 SE 6th St in downtown Ft. Lauderdale one block from the County Courthouse; parking at on-street meters, and free at Courthouse parking garage after 5 pm on weekdays and all day on weekends
▪ ADMISSION: All regular screening tickets are $10 general admission, $8 seniors and students. They can be purchased at the Cinema's box office during regular screening hours and online at www.paradisocinemas.com
▪ FOR MORE INFO: www.paradisocinemas.com or 954-525-3456
▪ WHAT: South Florida First Run Enagement of Appropriate Behavior. Live video-link Q&A with star and filmmaker Desiree Akhavan at 4 p.m. Sunday screening
▪ WHEN: South Florida First Run Engagement starts Friday, January 16
▪ WHERE: Bill Cosford Cinema at University of Miami, 5030 Brunson Dr., Memorial Building 227 in Coral Gables
▪ ADMISSION: All regular screening tickets are $9 general admission, $7 students, UM alumni and seniors citizens
▪ FOR MORE INFO: http://www.cosfordcinema.com/screenings/2014/12/appropriate-behavior