SAVE Action PAC on Wednesday night will host a Guardians Society meet-and-greet for the LGBT-rights group’s 2015 endorsed candidates in upcoming Miami Beach and Miami elections.
The PAC recently endorsed Miami commission candidates Willy Gort (the District 1 incumbent) and paddleboard wholesaler Ken Russell, who seeks to succeed term-limited Marc Sarnoff in District 2.
Also running in Miami:
▪ District 1: Miguel Angel Gabela, a Jaguar auto parts retailer and former member of the city’s zoning board.
Never miss a local story.
▪ District 2: Williams Armbrister, a retired FPL employee; Javier Gonzalez, a Remax real estate agent and elected member of the Coconut Grove Village Council; Rosa Palomino, a teacher at Citrus Grove Elementary; Teresa Sarnoff, the commissioner’s wife; Mike Simpson, manager of the Mellow Mushroom in South Miami; Seth Sklarey, an elected member of the Coconut Grove Village Council; Lorry Woods, owner of a downtown gastro pub; and Grace Solares, a paralegal.
Previously, the PAC endorsed Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine for reelection; Scott Diffenderfer for Commission Group 4; Ricky Arriola for Commission Group 5; and John Elizabeth Aleman for Commission Group 6.
Levine, a first-term mayor, faces challenger David Wieder in the Nov. 3 election. Levine is CEO of Royal Media Partners, an exclusive partner of Royal Caribbean Cruises; Wieder, an attorney, is chairman of the city’s Historic Preservation Board.
Incumbent commissioners Jonah Wolfson (Group 4), Edward Tobin (Group 5) and Deede Weithorn (Group 6) are term limited and cannot run.
Six residents have qualified to succeed Wolfson: Diffenderfer, Michael DeFilippi, Kristen Rosen Gonzalez, Isaiah Mosley, Jonathan Parker and Elizabeth “Betsy” Pérez.
Arriola faces Weithorn’s husband, Mark, in the race to succeed Tobin.
Alemán is running against Mark Samuelian to succeed Weithorn.
SAVE Action PAC is the political arm of SAVE, South Florida’s largest LGBT advocacy organization.
If you go
▪ What: SAVE Action PAC candidates meet-and-greet.
▪ When: 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday.
▪ Where: 5310 N. Bay Rd., Miami Beach.
▪ More information and to RSVP: http://actionpac.save.lgbt/meet15