Three teenagers were able to escape safely from a burning home in West Park.
The fast-moving fire roared through the home in the 100 block of Edmund Road Thursday, June 30th.
“The house was fully-engulfed in flames,” said neighbor Ian Ragoonen. “It had fire coming out the door, all the way to the ceiling.”
The home was left destroyed.
Never miss a local story.
“It didn’t look too good. If anything was in there, ya know, it was a loss,” said Ragoonen.
Three teenagers were inside the home when the fire ignited. They all made it out, along with two of their dogs.
A third dog, however, did not survive.
“I’m totally shocked,” said the children’s mother and homeowner, Tijuana Johnson. “I’m hurt, I’m devastated. But life goes on.”
Johnson left the teens at home while she went to work. One of her children told her they awoke to the smell of smoke.
“I think he left something plugged up,” Johnson said. “And it must have caught onto a sheet or mattress or something. And it just sparked up, I’m assuming.”
Despite losing everything, this mother is just relieved her kids are okay.
“I’m one hundred to a thousand percent happy I’m not seeing a tragedy of my kids being lost,” she said. “That’s the best part about it.”