Miami’s Top 5: What you should know for Thursday
08/15/2013 7:43 AM
08/15/2013 7:58 AM
1. A funeral service was held yesterday for the 18-year-old artist, Israel Hernandez-Llach, who died after police shot him with a Taser. Relatives and community leaders say they’re still waiting for answers regarding his death.
2. Expect a 70% of rain and thunderstorms with a high of 91 today. Tonight expect a partly cloudy sky with a 40% chance for rain. The fifth tropical depression has become Tropical Storm Erin and is moving WNW at 16 mph with 40 MPH winds.
3. Miami Commissioner Francis Suarez yesterday fired a staffer who griped about constituents on Twitter, a day after maintaining that the apologetic aide would keep her job.
4. The Dolphins cut Dan Carpenter deciding their kicking competition with three weeks left before the start of the season.
5. The parents of a 12-year-old Zachary Reyna are praying for a miracle hoping that Zachary can overcome a rare “brain-eating” infection in his brain.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.