FINANCIAL/ REAL ESTATE
Peter Mekras has been hired as managing director of Aztec Group. He’ll specialize in sourcing investment sales, debt and equity transactions throughout Florida, with an emphasis on the multifamily and housing sector. He most recently was senior vice president at CREC. He has a bachelor of business administration degree from Southern Methodist University.
At Broward Health:
Never miss a local story.
▪ Alexander M. Fernandez has been promoted to vice president of financial operations. He most recently was CFO at Broward Health Medical Center and Salah Foundation Children’s Hospital. Fernandez has a bachelor’s in financial and multinational business from Florida State University and an MBA from Florida Atlantic University.
▪ Samantha Gardner has been named vice president of managed care. She’ll direct Broward Health’s comprehensive managed care plan while working closely with the CFO in seeking opportunities for business development. She most recently was vice president of operations at RegenaTech Research Corp. Garner has an MBA from the University of Florida and a master’s in health administration from University of Phoenix.
▪ Onel Rodriguez has been named chief financial officer for Broward Health Coral Springs. Previously, he was the VP of finance at HCA’s JFK Medical Center-North Campus in West Palm Beach. Rodriguez has a bachelor’s from St. Thomas University and a master’s in accounting from Kaplan University.
At GrayRobinson, P.A., several attorneys were promoted to shareholder. Among them:
▪ In the Miami office: Aaron H. Epstein and Veronica A. Meza, who were senior associates; and Jordan S. Kosches, who was of counsel.
▪ In the Fort Lauderdale office: Shayna A. Freyman, who was senior associate.
Sandra Masis of Cervera Real Estate was named director of sales for Miami’s Elysee Condominium by Two Roads Development. Elysee Miami, a 57-story luxury condo tower, is being developed in East Edgewater.
At Bacardi Limited based in Hamilton, Bermuda:
▪ Mahesh Madhavan takes over as CEO, succeeding Michael J. Dolan, who has retired. The move was first announced in March. Madhavan has been with the company 20 years.
▪ John Burke has been named global chief marketing officer of Bacardi and president of Bacardi Global Brands Ltd.
▪ Ignacio del Valle leads commercial operations for the Latin America and Caribbean region as regional president.
This column lists high-level promotions of senior executives based in Broward, Miami-Dade or Monroe counties. These announcements, which also are at miamiherald.com, are for full-time, paid positions. Send items, including previous job; educational background; high-res jpegs of head shots and the website address of the company to email@example.com. Put “Movers” in the subject line.
Name: Kathleen ‘Kit’ Wills
New job: Director of development of the Florida region for the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation. She will be based in the organization’s national headquarters in Hollywood.
From: Development director at St. Stephen’s Episcopal Day School in Miami.
Education: Wills has a bachelor’s in education from the University of Michigan and a master’s in education leadership from Nova Southeastern University.
Best advice: The best advice I ever received was to be authentic and be yourself. This belief has helped me to get where I am today and will allow me to succeed in my new position at the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation.
Choices for Spotlight are made from promotions sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
See past senior-level hires and promotions in South Florida for 2017:
(No Movers ran on Sept. 18, 2017)