New ship on tap for Princess Cruises
07/30/2014 12:40 PM
07/30/2014 1:23 PM
Princess Cruises said Wednesday it will welcome a new ship in 2017.
The cruise line, part of Doral-based Carnival Corp., said it has reached an agreement with Italian ship builder Fincantieri for a new 3,560-passenger vessel. The cost will be about 600 million euros, or more than $802 million at current exchange rates.
Princess, with headquarters in Santa Clarita, Calif., has not said what it will call the new ship or where it will sail. The 143,000-ton vessel will be the third in the Royal Princess class; the first debuted last year and the second, Regal Princess, started sailing in May. Princess has 18 ships in its fleet.
Some features that will be included on the new vessel are a central atrium hub; adult-only Sanctuary area with a pool and cabanas; outdoor movies and balconies on 80 percent of staterooms.
The new ship is the only one expected by Carnival Corp., which has 10 brands around the world, in 2017.
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.