Answers to key questions about Guantánamo detention center
Candidate Barack Obama pledged that hed close the Guantánamo Bay detention facility. Easier said than done. Here are some key questions and answers.
'); } -->
Candidate Barack Obama pledged that hed close the Guantánamo Bay detention facility. Easier said than done. Here are some key questions and answers.
The Naval officer who has been defending an alleged terrorist linked to a plot on a U.S. Navy warship is leaving the case to study at Harvard Law School.
Yemens human rights minister abruptly ended her visit to Washington this week without lobbying U.S. officials for the release of her fellow citizens from Guantánamo, where Yemeni make up more than half the population at the controversial U.S.-run prison that President Barack Obama has pledged to close.
In a newly released court filing, a Guantánamo detainee accused guards of going through their holy books to instigate a hunger strike.
An Ohio public defender who was part of a team that represents Guantánamo detainees died last week but had not been to the base for months, his office said Friday.
The White House said Wednesday that despite President Barack Obamas pledge to do what he can to close the detention center at Guantánamo Bay, a moratorium on sending cleared detainees back to Yemen remains in place a policy that, if unchanged, provides perhaps the biggest obstacle to shuttering the controversial island prison.
The U.S. military now counts 100 of the 166 captives as hunger strikers. Twenty-three are being tube fed, four in the prison hospital.
The president of the American Medical Association said in a letter to the Secretary of Defense that every competent patient — even a prisoner — has the right to refuse food or medical care.
President Barack Obama said the war-on-terror prison at the U.S. Navy base is not necessary to keep America safe. It needs to be closed.
About 40 additional U.S. Navy medical forces have arrived at the prison camps at Guantánamo to assist in the growing hunger strike by 100 captives, more then a fifth of them being force-fed, a spokesman said Monday.
Americas offshore war-on-terror prison camp has gone from peaceable routine to hunger-striking nightmare. A look at life at the prison where nearly every captive is under lockdown.
The U.S. military now counts 100 of the 166 captives as hunger strikers. It said a fifth of them were being force fed on Saturday as the International Red Cross launched new prison camp visits.
The U.S. military now counts 94 of the 166 captives as hunger strikers, 17 being tube fed, 3 hospitalized.
Military says hunger strikers have more than doubled since April 13 lockdown: 92 on strike, 17 tube fed, 2 hospitalized.
The U.S. military prepared to increase the size of its medical staff as the number of hunger strikers being tube fed increased to 17 on Tuesday.
A prison spokesman says 84 of the 166 captives had missed enough meals or become malnourished enough to meet the detention-center definition of a hunger strike.
A political and legal debate is underway about whether to treat the alleged Boston Marathon bomber as an enemy combatant or a common criminal.
The prison-camps spokesman said 63 of the 166 captives had missed enough meals or become malnourished enough to meet the detention-center definition of a hunger strike.
Captives fashioned weapons from broom handles and gravel-filled water bottles to battle U.S. troops in what was once Guantánamos showcase prison for cooperative detainees.
Spokesman says 45 of 166 captives are now considered to be hunger strikers, and 13 are being tube fed.