EL NUEVO HERALD
Brazil's state-owned oil company Petrobras PETR.SA PBR.SA has completed seismic work in its leased Cuban offshore bloc and is studying whether to drill a well, the head of its Cuban operations said on Wednesday.
Spanish priest Isidro Hoyos, a friend and compatriot of two priests murdered this year in Havana, told Efe that the crimes had very similar characteristics and do not seem to be a “coincidence,” and he added that he is scared.
Autoridades cubanas anunciaron que a partir del 1 de agosto próximo entrará en vigor la descentralización en la comercialización de productos agropecuarios, en un nuevo esfuerzo por aumentar la producción de alimentos en la isla.
Cuba's birthrate has been decreasing steadily for years provoking a population decrease. Aging and reduced fertility are the chief causes of the continued decline in the Cuban population
Spain asked Cuban authorities for information about the death of Spanish priest Mariano Arroyo, who was found stabbed and partially burned in his parish apartment on the outskirts of Havana, diplomatic sources told Efe on Tuesday.
Tampa City Councilwoman Mary Mulhern and Tampa Port Authority Commissioner Carl Lindell will join about two dozen business people on a fact-finding trip to Cuba, hoping to lay the groundwork for Tampa-area trade once U.S.-Cuba relations improve.
Ardolis Chapman, a star pitcher for Cuba in this year's World Baseball Classic who defected in the Netherlands on July 1, has signed with an agent and looks set to seek a Major League Baseball career.
Cuba is a mysterious destination. It's so close, yet it's diffi cult to reach given the federal restrictions on travel there. But, one way to see the island is by visiting under a special license issued by the U.S. Treasury Department. One such license allows travel for humanitarian projects. And that's how the M.S. Hershey Foundation is able to offer trips to Cuba.
THE NEW YORK TIMES
When Michael Barrett went to Havana as a guest conductor of the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba in 2000, all he knew about Jorge Luis Prats was that he was the orchestra’s artistic director. Then Mr. Prats sat down at the piano and began to play. "My jaw dropped,” said Mr. Barrett, now chief executive and general director of the Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts, in Katonah, N.Y. “ ‘Oh, my God,’ I thought, ‘this guy is a wonder.’ ”
Cuban President Raul Castro met Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika on Sunday as he began a three-day visit to Cuba's north African ally ahead of a key summit of the Non-Aligned Movement.
THE ROYAL GAZETTE
Bacardi International's president and CEO Michael Brennan will be watching with keen interest to see whether the US lifts its trade embargo with Cuba.
THE WASHNGTON POST
Maggie Rodriguez, the daughter of Cuban refugees, was a Miami anchor when she was offered the break of a lifetime: a chance to be the Saturday co-host of CBS's "Early Show."
Tough diagnosis and partial prescriptions in Raul Castro’s economic Policies
THE WASHINGTON POST
A Senate committee has struck $15 million from the budget for TV Marti, after Democratic Senator Byron Dorgan said the signal was jammed by the Communist government so no one there could see it. Differences between the House and Senate versions of a budget bill will have to be resolved before it can become law
Our trip to Cuba was sponsored by the United Jewish Communities as an outreach to the Jewish community there. We visited three congregations in Havana and a small community in Santa Clara, about a four-hour ride from Havana.
Un anónimo provocó los seguimientos de la seguridad cubana al representante de los intereses vascos en La Habana, en paradero desconocido desde su arresto en febrero
Brazil said on Thursday it would give Cuba up to $300 million in credits to start rebuilding the island's port of Mariel, better known as the site of a 1980 Cuban exodus to the United States
Cuba has acknowledged the desertion of baseball pitcher Aroldis Chapman, a week after he walked away from a tournament in the Netherlands.
OSLO FREEDOM FORUM
Speech by Marc Wachtenheim, director of the Cuba Development Initiative at the Pan American Development Foundation, overseeing a m-ulti-million dollar development program. CDI brings together hemispheric leaders to implement strategies in collaboration with the Cuban people to advance their democratic, economic, and social development by joining international financial resources with Cuba’s human resources. .
The International Press Institute called Tuesday for the “immediate release” of the 22 journalists jailed in Cuba and warned of the risk of downplaying the importance of the fundamental rights of freedom of expression and the press.
The ranks of Cuba's family farmers have grown by more than 30,000 this year as the government conducted the biggest land-lease distribution since the country's 1959 revolution in an effort to solve an agricultural crisis, a newspaper reported on Monday.
Since he swept into power 50 years ago, Cuba's Fidel Castro has been honored in poems, movies and paintings and now in reggaeton, a form of music widely popular among Cuban youth but not island leaders.
The musicians in the two-time Grammy-nominated band Tiempo Libre were born, raised and classically trained at Cuban conservatories but now make their home in Miami. Focusing on timba, a sizzling combination of Latin jazz and Cuban sound, the group has been touring the U.S. to support its latest CD, "Bach in Havana." We talked to pianist and music director Jorge Gómez, 37, about touring with the band.
- 'Fatal Vision' author Joe McGinniss dies at age 71
- Coral Gables billionaire Mike Fernandez strongly backing Gov. Rick Scott
- Call for charges in street artist Israel ‘Reefa‘ Hernandez-Llach‘s death
- Mom blames husband after driving kids into ocean
- Caribbean Community leaders want formal apology from Europe for slavery
- Bill to remove arcades from gambling ban could create loopholes
- Syrian refugee crisis brings Israelis and Arabs together in Miami Beach
- Sbarro files for bankruptcy protection again
- Monsignor Pace looks to build on historic flag football season
- Miami Marlins Steve Cishek knows pressure of being the closer
- Miami Heat tops Washington Wizards as Dwyane Wade carries team late
- Florida Panthers Jimmy Hayes is planted in right spot
- Miami Heats Dwyane Wade plays back to back
- Miami Country Day boys basketball coach Bryan Parizo steps down after 25 years
- American Heritage girls tennis team routs Archbishop McCarthy
- Greg Cote: Miami Dolphins have cash to rebuild, but the onus is on Dennis Hickey
- Sign up for free Business Plan Bootcamp
- Business group to represent Alton store owners in Miami Beach
- Dadeland Mall’s terrace dining is kicking off
- 18 banks get top ratings from BauerFinancial; four get lowest ratings
- Israeli cruise passengers denied entry to Tunisia
- Construction underway on new AC Hotel by Marriott
- McDonald’s sales dragged down by fourth-straight drop
- American Air says asset sales totaled $381 million
- Fit tip: Should I eat more often?
- Non-surgical treatments available for hip pain
- Why the Oscars are giving plastic surgery a bad rap
- Seven-day menu planner
- Mother, son undergo same procedure with same surgeon — on the same day
- Fred Tasker’s wine column: Cabernet sauvignon is the king of wines, the wine of kings
- Woman has run marathons in all 50 states
- George Saunders wins Folio Prize for literature
- Film icon Robert Redford joins wife Sibylle Redfords Way of the Rain Miami performance at YoungArts
- Local, vocal talent powers fun, funny ‘Spamalot’ at Actors’ Playhouse
- Wynwood art cinema makes upgrades
- John Turturro to be honored Sunday by Miami Film Festival
- Top directors covet slot at Miami International Film Festival
- Sprung beer festival to feature spring and summer brews
- Justin Bieber is due back in South Florida
- ‘War Horse’ brings its imaginative, moving drama to Miami’s Arsht Center
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Marie Elia Chery, research nurse and Haitian humanitarian, dies at 59
- Merrick widow and UM reference librarian Mildred Merrick dies at 92
- Hernandez, heroine of Cuban revolution, dies at 92
- William Clay Ford, car-company leader and Detroit Lions owner, dies at 88
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier dies
- Afghan VP, ex-Northern alliance commander, dies