Brazil's state-owned oil company Petrobras PETR.SA PBR.SA has completed seismic work in its leased Cuban offshore bloc and is studying whether to drill a well, the head of its Cuban operations said on Wednesday.
Spanish priest Isidro Hoyos, a friend and compatriot of two priests murdered this year in Havana, told Efe that the crimes had very similar characteristics and do not seem to be a “coincidence,” and he added that he is scared.
Autoridades cubanas anunciaron que a partir del 1 de agosto próximo entrará en vigor la descentralización en la comercialización de productos agropecuarios, en un nuevo esfuerzo por aumentar la producción de alimentos en la isla.
Cuba's birthrate has been decreasing steadily for years provoking a population decrease. Aging and reduced fertility are the chief causes of the continued decline in the Cuban population
Spain asked Cuban authorities for information about the death of Spanish priest Mariano Arroyo, who was found stabbed and partially burned in his parish apartment on the outskirts of Havana, diplomatic sources told Efe on Tuesday.
Tampa City Councilwoman Mary Mulhern and Tampa Port Authority Commissioner Carl Lindell will join about two dozen business people on a fact-finding trip to Cuba, hoping to lay the groundwork for Tampa-area trade once U.S.-Cuba relations improve.
Ardolis Chapman, a star pitcher for Cuba in this year's World Baseball Classic who defected in the Netherlands on July 1, has signed with an agent and looks set to seek a Major League Baseball career.
Cuba is a mysterious destination. It's so close, yet it's diffi cult to reach given the federal restrictions on travel there. But, one way to see the island is by visiting under a special license issued by the U.S. Treasury Department. One such license allows travel for humanitarian projects. And that's how the M.S. Hershey Foundation is able to offer trips to Cuba.
THE NEW YORK TIMES
When Michael Barrett went to Havana as a guest conductor of the National Symphony Orchestra of Cuba in 2000, all he knew about Jorge Luis Prats was that he was the orchestra’s artistic director. Then Mr. Prats sat down at the piano and began to play. "My jaw dropped,” said Mr. Barrett, now chief executive and general director of the Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts, in Katonah, N.Y. “ ‘Oh, my God,’ I thought, ‘this guy is a wonder.’ ”
Cuban President Raul Castro met Algerian President Abdelaziz Bouteflika on Sunday as he began a three-day visit to Cuba's north African ally ahead of a key summit of the Non-Aligned Movement.
THE ROYAL GAZETTE
Bacardi International's president and CEO Michael Brennan will be watching with keen interest to see whether the US lifts its trade embargo with Cuba.
THE WASHNGTON POST
Maggie Rodriguez, the daughter of Cuban refugees, was a Miami anchor when she was offered the break of a lifetime: a chance to be the Saturday co-host of CBS's "Early Show."
Tough diagnosis and partial prescriptions in Raul Castro’s economic Policies
THE WASHINGTON POST
A Senate committee has struck $15 million from the budget for TV Marti, after Democratic Senator Byron Dorgan said the signal was jammed by the Communist government so no one there could see it. Differences between the House and Senate versions of a budget bill will have to be resolved before it can become law
Our trip to Cuba was sponsored by the United Jewish Communities as an outreach to the Jewish community there. We visited three congregations in Havana and a small community in Santa Clara, about a four-hour ride from Havana.
Un anónimo provocó los seguimientos de la seguridad cubana al representante de los intereses vascos en La Habana, en paradero desconocido desde su arresto en febrero
Brazil said on Thursday it would give Cuba up to $300 million in credits to start rebuilding the island's port of Mariel, better known as the site of a 1980 Cuban exodus to the United States
Cuba has acknowledged the desertion of baseball pitcher Aroldis Chapman, a week after he walked away from a tournament in the Netherlands.
OSLO FREEDOM FORUM
Speech by Marc Wachtenheim, director of the Cuba Development Initiative at the Pan American Development Foundation, overseeing a m-ulti-million dollar development program. CDI brings together hemispheric leaders to implement strategies in collaboration with the Cuban people to advance their democratic, economic, and social development by joining international financial resources with Cuba’s human resources. .
The International Press Institute called Tuesday for the “immediate release” of the 22 journalists jailed in Cuba and warned of the risk of downplaying the importance of the fundamental rights of freedom of expression and the press.
The ranks of Cuba's family farmers have grown by more than 30,000 this year as the government conducted the biggest land-lease distribution since the country's 1959 revolution in an effort to solve an agricultural crisis, a newspaper reported on Monday.
Since he swept into power 50 years ago, Cuba's Fidel Castro has been honored in poems, movies and paintings and now in reggaeton, a form of music widely popular among Cuban youth but not island leaders.
The musicians in the two-time Grammy-nominated band Tiempo Libre were born, raised and classically trained at Cuban conservatories but now make their home in Miami. Focusing on timba, a sizzling combination of Latin jazz and Cuban sound, the group has been touring the U.S. to support its latest CD, "Bach in Havana." We talked to pianist and music director Jorge Gómez, 37, about touring with the band.
- Comcast challenging Disney's hold on tourism trade
- Syrian rebels release nuns held since December
- Mexico government 100 pct sure drug capo killed
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Baltimore Ravens player arrested in Key West bar fight
- Barricaded man shot in standoff with police in Northeast Miami-Dade
- UMass latest to deal with rowdy St. Pat's parties
- Aftershock from January earthquake rattles parts of Cuba, Florida Keys Sunday
- Report: Lineman Branden Albert plans to sign deal with Miami Dolphins
- Patrick Reed stays steady and strong in victory at WGC-Cadillac Championship
- Canelo Alvarez makes successful return to ring after loss
- Henry Rodriguez, Carter Capps among candidates for open Miami Marlins bullpen spots
- LeBron James drops the ball in Miami Heats loss to Chicago Bulls
- Greg Cote: Patrick Reed has the right look and game to match it
- LeBron James struggles during Miami Heats road trip
- Bubba Watson, Jamie Donaldson satisfied with second-place finishes in Cadillac Championship
- South Florida-based company Regal Springs Tilapia is the king of fresh tilapia
- Capitol Clothing Corp. is boosting sales of its infants’ and boys’ apparel
- Q&A: Diane Sanchez reflects on eMerge Americas movement, upcoming conference
- DonorCommunity expands, now serves more than 140 nonprofits
- Miami company takes golfers into danger zones
- Sign up for free Business Plan Bootcamp
- Pipeline Fellowship angel investing bootcamp coming to South Florida
- Mango tree may be getting too much water
- Southern Cross Stargazer for March 9-15, 2014
- Caves, comfort food in Hocking Hills
- It’s OK to change HOA policies
- When airline cancels route, what happens to credits?
- Florida: Kennedy Space Center welcomes Brevard Symphony for Space Shuttle Atlantis concert March 22
- Walter Kirn reveals the true, bizarre story of a world-class scammer — and his own gullibility
- Culture critic examines the lasting appeal of ‘Network’
- Local, vocal talent powers fun, funny ‘Spamalot’ at Actors’ Playhouse
- Wynwood art cinema makes upgrades
- John Turturro to be honored Sunday by Miami Film Festival
- Top directors covet slot at Miami International Film Festival
- Sprung beer festival to feature spring and summer brews
- Justin Bieber is due back in South Florida
- Documentary chronicles the passion and perseverance of Nick and Marc Buoniconti
- ‘War Horse’ brings its imaginative, moving drama to Miami’s Arsht Center
Powered by Legacy.com ©
To place a Death Notice, please call 305-376-8901 or email email@example.com. Be sure to include: Your name, daytime phone number, address, method of payment, name of funeral home/crematory to contact for verification of death. To place it online click here.
If you have a suggestion for a staff-written obituary, please send an email to dadenews@MiamiHerald.com
- Lions owner William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Revolutionary opera director Gerard Mortier dies
- Afghan VP, ex-Northern alliance commander, dies
- GOP fundraiser Welch dies at 80
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- John Cyril Malloy, patent and intellectual lawyer, dies at 83
- Producer of early Grammy, NFL telecasts dead at 93