The new boat ride Frozen Ever After, based on the tale of Princess Anna and Queen Elsa, will open in June at Epcot, as will the Royal Sommerhus, the new meet-and-greet site for the royal sisters, Walt Disney World executives announced Wednesday.
In addition, Soarin’, the hang-glider’s point-of-view tour of California, will reopen June 17 at Epcot with a new vista: the world. The attraction, closed since January, will add a third screen, new technology, and a new show, Soarin’ Around the World, a tour of sites on six continents.
Both openings were announced during Disney World’s Awaken Summer media preview of what’s happening at the Orlando parks this summer.
Other new or updated attractions opening soon at Disney World:
Never miss a local story.
▪ “Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire,” a live stage show at Magic Kingdom’s Cinderella Castle, will debut in June, replacing “Dream Along with Mickey.” The new show will feature Tiana of The Princess and the Frog, Rapunzel of Tangled, and Anna and Elsa of Frozen.
▪ Princess Elena of Avalor, featured in a new Disney television show, will begin doing meet-and-greets at Magic Kingdom in August.
▪ “Jungle Book: Alive with Magic,” a live stage show based on The Jungle Book live action film, will play a limited engagement at Disney’s Animal Kingdom, opening Memorial Day weekend.
▪ The hugely popular Toy Story Mania, a ride set in a carnival midway, will open a new track Memorial Day weekend.
▪ Several new shops and restaurants will open May 15 at Disney Springs, the revamped and expanded retail, dining and entertainment center formerly called Downtown Disney.
One date still missing from the summer lineup is the nighttime opening of Disney’s Animal Kingdom. The park had been scheduled to extend its hours this week with the addition of a light and water show, after-dark Kilimanjaro Safaris, street parties and other nighttime events.
However, the technologically complex centerpiece “Rivers of Light” show still has elements that need to be worked out, and the nighttime opening was postponed, with no new date announced.