▪ Lantern Festival: Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens will present its annual fall celebration, Lantern Festival: In the Spirit of Obon. on Oct. 17. Festivities from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. will include a lantern floating ceremony, taiko drum performances, fireworks display, Japanese folk-dancing, a street fair with games and crafts, a beer garden and sake station, traditional Japanese street festival foods and shopping. The festival is inspired by Japan’s traditional three-day Obon holiday honoring ancestors. Guests can purchase paper lanterns to personalize with special messages to honor and remember their loved ones, then set the lanterns afloat across Morikami Lake. Tickets are close to being sold out and will not be sold at the gate. Admission: $15 adults, $10 kids 4-10, free for children 3 or younger. Details: www.morikami.org/lanternfest.
▪ Clearwater Jazz Holiday: The 36th Clearwater Jazz Holiday, which began as a series of jazz concerts held on the back of a flatbed truck, will be headlined by Sheryl Crow. In addition to jazz, the four-day music festival will feature swing, blues, jam band, folk, Americana, funk and Zydeco. The music festival will be Oct. 15-18 at Coachman Park in Clearwater, which is north of St. Petersburg. Other performers will include the Avett Brothers, Gladys Knight, The O’Jays, and Buddy Guy. Daily general admission tickets are $15 in advance and $25 the day of the show. There are also four-day packages available as well as special prices for kids, VIP and reserved seating. Details: 727-461-5200, www.clearwaterjazz.com.
▪ Edison Ford Gardens: A Moonlight Garden Walk under the harvest moon will be held at the Edison Ford Gardens in Fort Myers on Sept. 27. The walk, starting at 6:30 p.m., will be led by Edison Ford horticulturists and will highlight night-blooming flowers. The moon will rise around dusk. Because the September harvest moon is also a “supermoon,” it will appear even larger than usual and produce higher tides. Participants are urged to bring cameras and telescopes. Admission: $40 non-members, $10 for members of Edison Ford or Calusa Science Center. Details: 239-334-7419, www.edisonfordwinterestates.org.
▪ Disney’s Moms Panel: Disney Parks is adding members to its Moms Panel, a group of parents (and others) who help people plan their trips to Disney’s parks, cruise line, Disney Vacation Club and other arms of the company. Panel members — passionate and knowledgeable Disney fans — answer questions in an online trip-planning forum about dining and entertainment, transportation and more. The forum is offered in English, Spanish, French and Portuguese. Disney is accepting applications through Sept. 15 at www.momspanelsearch.com.
▪ Air service to Europe: Late fall will bring new and expanded air service between Miami and several European destinations. New destinations are Vienna (Austrian Airlines) five times a week starting Oct. 16; daily service to Istanbul (Turkish Airlines) starting Oct. 25: In addition, Lufthansa will expand its service to Munich to six times a week (Oct. 25-March 26), and Finnair will offer three flights a week to Helsinki (Oct. 26-March 26). Other additions are all-new Airbus A380 superjumbo service to London on British Airways; more flights to Zurich on Swiss; and twice-a-week service to Berlin via Air Berlin.
MIAMI HERALD STAFF