Do you dislike being charged separately for every drink, shore excursion, specialty restaurant, photo, internet access and the standard gratuities on your cruise? Norwegian Cruise Line is trying out an add-on all-inclusive package that will cover most of those expenses but could more than double the cost of your cruise.
The package is available for all 2015 cruises of three to 14 days booked between Aug. 4 and Aug. 29.
The fee is based on the length of the cruise. For a three-night cruise, it’s $459 per person, for a seven-night cruise $899 per person. For a seven-night cruise, the package includes:
• A 10 percent discount on the cruise fare.
Never miss a local story.
• Ultimate Dining Package, which covers dinner in a specialty restaurant every night. Specialty restaurants are those that charge an additional fee. If booked separately, the dining package costs $119 for a seven-night cruise.
• Ultimate Beverage Package, which includes a variety of spirits, cocktails, beer, wines costing up to $10 a glass, and unlimited soda and juice. If booked separately and in advance, the beverage package costs $62.10 a day, or about $435 for a week-long cruise.
• A shore excursion credit of $200.
• Pre-paid daily service charges ($84/person).
• A 250-minute Internet package ($100 if paid separately)
• Miscellaneous other items including 20 photos, a bottle of wine, six bottles of water, one bingo session and chocolate-covered strawberries.
A check of online cruise agencies for week-long Caribbean cruises from Miami in April 2015 found fares for inside and oceanview staterooms and some balcony staterooms starting for less than the add-on fee. The all-inclusive package is economical for people who drink enough that they’d buy the Ultimate Beverage Package, the single most costly element in the all-inclusive package.
“We are making it easy for those that want everything included in their cruise vacation with the option of our All-Inclusive package,” Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s chief executive officer, said in a press release.