Dr. Leslie Baumann’s Top 10 Must-Have Products for Great Skin
05/10/2014 11:49 AM
05/12/2014 4:26 PM
As a dermatologist, part of my job is making sure my patients are on the best skincare regimen for their skin type. Of course I tailor these regimens for their goals, whether they want to address fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, acne, redness or another specific concern.
Though skin type certainly dictates my product suggestions (find out your Baumann Skin Type at www.skintypesolutions.com), there are general guidelines that all skincare regimens should follow. Here are my 10 must haves for anyone and everyone.
1. Cleanser. The cleanser you choose must be appropriate for your skin type. If you’re on the dry side, go with an oil or cream; and if you’re oily, seek out a gel or foam. But it’s important to adjust your cleanser depending on the season, so you may want to lighten up as the weather gets warmer.
2. Retinoids . Whether you use over-the-counter retinol or a prescription like tretinoin, tazarotene or adapalene, this is the best anti-aging product out there. One piece of advice: Read ingredient lists and don’t waste your time or money on retinyl palmitate, as it doesn’t penetrate well.
3. Targeted treatment for AM. If you don’t know what your skin’s major issue is (i.e. acne, inflammation, pigment, dehydration), take my skin type quiz and get the appropriate treatment for morning use.
4. Targeted treatment for PM. Make the most of your beauty sleep by giving your skin active ingredients designed to improve specific concerns.
5. Good everyday sunscreen . Make sure you shield your skin from the intermittent sun exposure you get in short doses, like when you’re walking to and from the car. A broad-spectrum SPF 15 is adequate so long as you apply a full half-teaspoon, but I believe the extra protection from SPF 30 is well worth it.
6. Good sunscreen for prolonged exposure. When you’re going to be outside for extended periods of time, opt for a higher SPF and a formulation that’s designed to withstand sweating, heat and humidity. And reapply every two hours.
7. Antioxidants in the AM . Sunscreen alone isn’t enough to fight aging. Look for products with vitamin C, green tea, idebenone or argan oil.
8. Bath oil . You deserve to treat yourself to a soak. A lavender-scented bath oil helps you relax and drift off to sleep.
9. Body lotion . A sweet-smelling lotion is great, but for the sake of your skin’s health, you’re better off with something that helps repair and reinforce your skin’s barrier. I like Cetaphil cream; and Vaseline has a variety of body lotions that help lock moisture into your skin and prevent it from evaporating.
10. Hand/cuticle cream. Applying hand cream after every time you wash is the best way to prevent dryness. Look for a product with argan oil or safflower oil for extra antioxidant protection and barrier repair.
I want to know … where do you buy your skincare products? Feel free to post on our Facebook page or email me.
Dr. Leslie Baumann is a board-certified dermatologist and CEO of Baumann Cosmetic & Research Institute in Miami.
About Dr. Leslie Baumann
Join the Discussion
Miami Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere on the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.