Everyone wants to look their best, and I try my best to stress the importance of prevention when it comes to aging.
Here are 10 tips for keeping your skin looking young.
1. Wear sunscreen. This is the most powerful product for preventing signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, rough texture and sagging.
2. Start using a retinoid. When it comes to anti-aging products, these (and their over-the-counter retinol counterparts) have been proven to keep skin looking its best, especially when you start early. Retinoids exfoliate and boost your skin’s natural collagen production.
Never miss a local story.
3. Exfoliate. Remove the uppermost layers of dead skin cells that cause the skin to appear dull and years older. By using a scrub, acid or skincare brush, you keep fresh, healthy, younger-looking skin on the surface.
4. Try to relax. When you’re stressed, your body produces a hormone called cortisol, which has an effect on your skin. It causes blood sugar levels to spike, leading to a process called glycation. Glycation compromises your skin’s collagen and leads to wrinkles.
5. Watch what you eat. Your diet can also cause glycation, especially if it’s high in sugars — and that includes sugar found in sweets as well as starchy foods like bread.
6. Rethink your bedding. I’m a fan of satin pillowcases because they don’t tug or pull on your face while you sleep. The jury may be out on whether or not this has anti-aging effects for the long-term, but at the very least you won’t wake up with sleep creases!
7. Update your makeup. If you’re wearing the same colors from 10 years ago, it’s time for an update. You’ll be surprised at what a difference a new look can make.
8. Get your beauty sleep. Lack of sleep also causes your body to produce cortisol.
9. Exercise. Getting your heart rate up is good for so many reasons. It makes you look better due to increased blood flow to the skin and prompts your body to produce endorphins, so it makes you feel great, too.
10. Take care of your hands. Wear SPF on your hands daily, and for even more anti-aging, always rub excess skincare products you use on your face on the backs of your hands.