Want to feel good about gorging on Thanksgiving Day?
Get an early-morning run in with your family and friends. Across South Florida, there will be turkey trots, turkey runs, even a turkey triathlon. So, get up and get going.
You’ll definitely feel better before sitting down and eating the turkey and all the trimmings. And it may keep you from gaining a pound or two the next day.
Here, then, is a roundup of running events:
▪ Baptist Health South Florida Turkey Day Run Miami: 5K/10K Run; race starts at 7:30 a.m. Thursday at Tropical Park, 7900 SW 40th St. (Bird Road), West Miami-Dade. There are races for adults, students and smaller children. Advance registration costs $30 for the adult 5K, $35 for the adult 10K, $20 for the student 5K/10K and $15 for the kids’ trot. Add $5 to register on the day of the race. To register, go to www.turkeyday-5k.com/page/show/1156013-miami.
▪ FIU-BCC Turkey Trot: Men and women ages 16 and older may run three miles or walk two miles in the 27th annual event. First-place finishers in each of four categories take home a turkey and gift basket. The first five runners-up in each category receive a turkey. Turkey prizes are limited to one per household, and participants can compete in only one category; 3 p.m. Wednesday; Florida International University North Campus, Panther Plaza, 3000 NE 151st St., North Miami. $5. www.active.com.
▪ Fort Lauderdale Turkey Trot & Paddle: Teams or individuals can run, walk or get on their stand-up paddle board during this fourth annual event; 7:30 a.m. Thursday; race is held at 501 Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd., at State Road A1A and Southeast Fifth Street. $5-$40. www.active.com.
▪ Jungle Island Turkey Trot 5K: This race raises funds for Camillus House. It includes free entry to Jungle Island, an official race shirt and a finisher medal; 8 a.m. Thursday; Jungle Island, 1111 Parrot Jungle Trail on Watson Island, Miami. $45. For registration help, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 954-213-6699. www.multirace.us/events/29.
▪ Merrill Lynch Bull Run 5K: Run and raise funds for the autism program at Nova Southeastern University, Cystic Fibrosis and Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital. Participants are welcome to walk. 7:30 a.m. Saturday; Huizenga Plaza, 32 E. Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale. $20. www.active.com.
▪ Tamarac Turkey Trot: This 5K run is marking its 34th anniversary; 7:30 a.m. Thursday; City Hall, 7525 NW 88th Ave., Tamarac. $30. www.active.com.
▪ Turkey Duathlon & Triathlon: The triathlon consists of a quarter-mile lake swim, a 10-mile bike ride and a three-mile two-loop run, while the duathlon consists of a three-quarter-mile run, a 10-mile bike ride, then a three-mile run; 7 a.m. Saturday; Tradewinds Park, 3600 W. Sample Rd., Coconut Creek. $69 for individuals, $109 for relay. www.active.com.
Compiled by Angel Doval