The holiday dinner goose on which you splurged is coming home to roost. Toys R Us wants your next paycheck, as you promised. You went to Jared, and now he’s coming for his due.
It’s the most un-wonderful time of year. Reckoning month. When holiday bills arrive.
I feel your pain. You, like I, will need something to sip to unwind after the arduous coming hours of writing checks. So here’s a list of 13 wines $15 and under to avoid further fiscal folly.
1. 2013 Justin Vineyards & Winery Sauvignon Blanc, Paso Robles: pale yellow hue, aromas and flavors of ripe peaches, tropical fruits and citrus, crisp, medium body; $14.
Never miss a local story.
2. 2013 Wente Vineyards “Morning Fog” Chardonnay, Livermore Valley, San Francisco Bay: hint of oak, medium body, aromas and flavors of green apples and minerals, crisp; $15.
3. 2011 LangeTwins Family Winery Cabernet Sauvignon, Lodi: hint of oak, aromas and flavors of black cherries, black coffee and cloves, ripe tannins; $15.
4. 2013 Don Miguel Gascón Malbec, Mendoza, Argentina: aromas and flavors of black plums, milk chocolate and cinnamon, ripe tannins; $15.
5. 2013 Esprit du Rhône Cotes du Rhône Héritier des Seigneurs de Gicon, Rhône, France: deep purple hue, aromas and flavors of black cherries and spice, soft tannins; $8.
6. 2013 Alamos Red Blend, Mendoza, Argentina (60 percent malbec, 25 percent bonarda, 9 percent tempranillo, 6 percent syrah): aromas and flavors of black cherries, black pepper and cinnamon, soft tannins, long finish; $13.
7. 2012 deAlto Amo Tinto Rioja, DOC, Spain: aromas and flavors of black plums and spice, soft tannins, mellow; $10.
8. 2013 Trivento Cabernet Sauvignon, Mendoza, Argentina: aromas and flavors of red plums and herbs, muscular and smooth, long finish; $12.
9. 2013 McManis Family Vineyards Pinot Grigio, California: crisp, light and lively, with lemon/lime flavors, very dry; $10.
10. Nonvintage Lamberti Prosecco, Veneto, Italy: lightly bubbly, with aromas and flavors of tropical fruits; $14.
11. 2012 Hoopla Unoaked Chardonnay, Napa Valley: lean and crisp, with aromas and flavors of green pears and citrus; $15.
12. 2012 Bridlewood Cabernet Sauvignon, Paso Robles (cabernet sauvignon, syrah, petite sirah): aromas and flavors of black plums and toasted sugar, hearty flavors, powerful tannins; $15.
13. 2013 Mirassou Pinot Noir, California (93 percent pinot noir, 6 percent zinfandel, 1 percent merlot): hint of oak, aromas and flavors of raspberries and strawberries, soft and smooth; $12.