It’s a treat when ripe, juicy peaches are in season. August is national peach month.
In this salad, peaches provide a contrasting sweet flavor to a tangy dressing. Cooked chicken, red bell pepper and almonds complete this summer supper.
How to pick a ripe one:
▪ Peaches should give slightly to palm pressure.
▪ Avoid ones with any very soft spots.
▪ Unripe peaches can be placed in a paper bag and left at room temperature to help speed ripening. Store them at room temperature until ripe.
▪ Once ripe, place them in a plastic bag and refrigerate. They will keep this way up to five days.
▪ Ripe plums or nectarines can be substituted for peaches.
▪ Any type of short-cut pasta such as macaroni or penne can be used.
▪ An easy way to chop chives is to snip them with a scissors.
Fred Tasker says: “This lightly sweet dish would be ideally matched by a lightly sweet viognier. (Pronounce it VEE-own-yay.)”
▪ Place water for pasta to boil.
▪ Prepare ingredients.
▪ Assemble salad.
To buy: 1 package fusilli (corkscrew) pasta, 1 jar reduced-fat mayonnaise, 1 bottle prepared horseradish, 10 ounces cooked boneless, skinless, chicken breast, 1 bag washed and ready-to-eat salad greens, 1 red bell pepper, 1 large peach and 1 bunch chives.
Staples: Dijon mustard.
Find more of cookbook author Linda Gassenheimer’s recipes on her website, dinnerinminutes.com.
CHICKEN AND PEACH PASTA SALAD
4 ounces fusilli (corkscrew) pasta (about 1 1/2 cups)
4 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
10 ounces cooked boneless, skinless, chicken breast
4 cups washed, ready-to-eat salad greens
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
1 large, ripe peach cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 rounded cup)
4 tablespoons chopped chives
Place a large pot of water on to boil over high heat. Add pasta and cook 10 minutes, or according to package instructions. Mix mayonnaise, water, horseradish and mustard together in a large bowl. Drain pasta, rinse in cold water and drain thoroughly. Add to the bowl. Add the chicken and toss well. Line two dinner plates with the salad greens. Spoon pasta and chicken over the top. Place bell pepper and peaches on top. Sprinkle with the chives. Makes 2 servings.
Per serving: 593 calories (25 percent from fat), 16.4 g fat (2.6 g saturated, 4 g monounsaturated), 126 mg cholesterol, 49.4 g protein, 60.5 g carbohydrates, 7.1 g fiber, 742 mg sodium.