▪ THE PRODUCT: Betsy’s Best Gourmet Nut & Seed Butters.
▪ THE STORY: Naples dietitian and personal trainer Betsy Opyt started making batches of peanut and almond butters in her home Vitamix blender for her young daughter and some clients. Her jars then became a hit at local farmers markets, and now they’re on the shelves at almost every Whole Foods in Florida.
▪ THE TASTE TEST: Fans of sweet-and-salty combinations as well as textural contrasts would be wise to check out the Betsy’s Best line. All are gluten-free and without genetically modified ingredients, high-fructose corn syrup or partially hydrogenated oils. My favorite is the no-nut seed butter with sunflower and chia seeds, which lend a pleasant crunch along with pink Himalayan sea salt crystals. The seed butter as well as the almond and peanut butters are flavored with cinnamon, which is an unexpected but satisfying twist. All three formulas also get dosed with raw sugar, organic honey and stevia — a trifecta that skews a bit too sweet for my tastes.
▪ THE PRICE: 12- and 16-ounce jars from about $7 to $11, plus shipping for online orders.
Never miss a local story.
▪ WHERE: Available at Whole Foods and betsysbest.com.